The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Barn and security cam question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/barn-security-cam-question-143402/)

walkinthewalk 11-13-2012 10:16 AM

Barn and security cam question

I need more than the intercom at the barn. One of the horses cast himself in the wee hours of the morning and layed quiet so what good did the intercom do. I'm going to pepper the neighbor's JR with a pellet gun, if I catch the little snot crawling up my hay to get to the cat food.

The system can be black & white but I do want wireless, night vision and audio. I could live without audio but would rather have it:-)

I might as well get five cameras while I'm spending the money, so I can see the driveway clear up to the garage<---there's no way I can see who's at the door until I open it:shock:

The far end of the barn is about 540 feet from the house.

In my 1960's brain I'd like to find a high quality unit for around $500 but if I can get something good for under $1,000 I will choke and buy it anyway.

I would love to hear what systems folks are using and if you're happy with them. If not, why not.

AlexS 11-13-2012 01:07 PM

I have a system for my house, it records, has all the features that you are looking for but is hard wired rather than wireless, as that was more affordable for me.

The brand I have is a Q See, I've had it for about 4 years now and it works great.

There are quite a few in the $300 range, from where I bought mine from.

Surveillance / Security at TigerDirect.com

MHFoundation Quarters 11-13-2012 01:15 PM

We've been having this discussion at my house also. There have been a rash of ATV thefts in my area. I've got my quad chained up with log chain and a lock that would take a grinder (and likely an extra wheel) and my tack room as well but I'm still uneasy.

My brother in law is an avid hunter and he is bringing me a trail cam to test that runs on wifi (hubby is the cable guy so putting an extra modem in the barn is an easy fix - house wifi won't reach my barn unfortunately) and emails when motion is detected, can be set at different sensitivity levels - so it wouldn't go off for the barn cat but would for something larger and can be watched remotely through my pc or phone. They are relatively inexpensive, less than a hundred bucks a piece. I'm hoping it will be a cheap, simple answer. If not we are going to bite the bullet and have a security system installed.

AlexS 11-13-2012 02:36 PM

Here's a photo of my system so you can see how the quality is.

Daytime

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...kidblurred.jpg

Night vision

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...kidblurred.jpg

walkinthewalk 11-14-2012 06:47 PM

AlexS, "it" won't let me "like" your pics but "it" let me "like" your first post - lol

I bookmarked the link you provided - thanks:-)

I thought I was just going to go right ahead and buy something but Mr. WTW informed me, the Dually needs new injectors.

The good news is he can put them in but they ain't cheap:shock::-(<--where's the passing out icon? There goes his vacation $$$

The good news is no vacuum leaks or burnt valves, just whip out that checkbook for all new injectors and sequestor himself in the workshop the Sunday after they get here.

I really appreciate the pictures. This has been a big help:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Nightside 11-14-2012 06:55 PM

That night vision picture freaked me out. Too much ghost movies I think.
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 11-14-2012 11:30 PM

Sorry about the car problems Walk, totally happens that way as soon as you think you have money for something it poofs!

Nightside, it's made more weird because I have to blur out the kids face. Night vision is funny, everything is green but you can still make everything out really clearly.

Breella 11-15-2012 10:44 AM

I'm using a Foscam and the program Vitamin D to record when I can not watch it myself. Cam ran me about $90, the vitamin D program is free for one cam, then they have paid tiers for more than one cam.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-15-2012 11:27 AM

I went to Radio Shack and bought a system that came with 2 or 3 cams, can't remember now, and I put it in the foaling stalls. It's hard wired, without a signal booster the barn is too far from the house to go wireless. I hard wire it right into the laptop computer and it feeds to the main computer in the house. Or I can hardwire it right to the t.v. if I'd rather have it feed there. It has night vision, sound and is realllly clear on the pics. It can be wireless, but I didn't want to invest in all the other equipment that it would take to provide a good picture all the way up to the house.

Swann SW322-YD2 Digital Wireless Camera & Receiver (2-Pk) : Surveillance & Security Cameras | RadioShack.com

If this isn't the exact unit I got, it's very similar. Mine is expandable, you can add additional cameras if you want.

walkinthewalk 11-15-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1759168)
I went to Radio Shack and bought a system that came with 2 or 3 cams, can't remember now, and I put it in the foaling stalls. It's hard wired, without a signal booster the barn is too far from the house to go wireless. I hard wire it right into the laptop computer and it feeds to the main computer in the house. Or I can hardwire it right to the t.v. if I'd rather have it feed there. It has night vision, sound and is realllly clear on the pics. It can be wireless, but I didn't want to invest in all the other equipment that it would take to provide a good picture all the way up to the house.

Swann SW322-YD2 Digital Wireless Camera & Receiver (2-Pk) : Surveillance & Security Cameras | RadioShack.com

If this isn't the exact unit I got, it's very similar. Mine is expandable, you can add additional cameras if you want.

I am going to throttle those snotfaced brats at our local radio shack -- they told me they don't carry anything like this, annnnd never said those ever-famous words "but we can order it" :shock:

The very cute little girl with the blue nail polish not only was clueless but un-willing to help -- she called the manager out front to do the talking --- and went back to texting.

I've bookmarked this link too ---- thanks very much ---- I think ---:lol::lol: