The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Buying First English Tack (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/buying-first-english-tack-143410/)

autumnheart 11-13-2012 12:44 PM

Buying First English Tack

I've never had my own tack before but as I am going to be leasing a horse again here shortly and possibly owning one of my own in the future, I thought as long as it is affordable, I could get some of my own. I don't know much about tack, other than I've only ever ridden English. I found this online, and I was wondering if it would be good to start with? 16-18 Black English Horse Leather Pleasure Saddle Tack- Western Horse Saddles - Saddle Online
And how do I know the size to get?

Thanks in advance!

Speed Racer 11-13-2012 12:47 PM

No, those cheap tack sets are garbage. Look for good, used, name brand tack.

If you're leasing, doesn't the horse already have tack? Ask the owner what size tree the horse needs if they won't let you use their current tack.

As far as what size seat you need, I'd think you'd already know that if you've only ever ridden English.

autumnheart 11-13-2012 12:52 PM

They've got everything except a saddle. I may be able to borrow a friend's saddle who rides at the same place, but I thought if I could find everything for that cheap I might as well just buy all of my own.

Speed Racer 11-13-2012 12:58 PM

Nope, don't bother with those sets.

Better to borrow a saddle that will work on the horse until you get your own animal. No guarantees a saddle you buy now will fit a future horse of yours.

autumnheart 11-13-2012 03:20 PM

That's true. I'll just do that. Thanks!

autumnheart 03-10-2013 10:09 AM

I know I posted this a while ago, and things have certainly changed! I am no longer leasing but buying. I am wondering if it is possible to get a decent English saddle for under $500? Any suggestions?

Speed Racer 03-10-2013 10:46 AM

Yep. Look for well made used ones for sale. CL, ebay and FB tack sites all have plenty of good used saddles for under $500.

SlideStop 03-10-2013 11:11 AM

Absolutely! I'm selling one right now. Look under the tack and classifieds section on the forum, mines there too.
Posted via Mobile Device

freia 03-10-2013 02:12 PM

Look for a good, used saddle. Be sure you know what tree-size your horse needs. Be sure to know what style saddle you're looking for or the choices can be overwhelming.

There are reputable online tack stores that sell good, used tack. Most will let you try the saddle on your horse and return it if it doesn't fit. When I sell saddles on CL or eBay, I also always offer a return policy for fit, but few people do, so be sure to arrange it before you buy. If buying from a tack-store, you can usuallu fax them your wither-tracing and they can help weed out the saddles that won't fit.

Some online stores to try are: St Croix Saddlery, Maryland Consignment Saddlery, Galloping Grape, Pelham Saddlery...

Some makes to look for in your price range are: Stubben, Kieffer, Passier, Courbette, AG Felsbach, Crosby, Wintec, Bates, Thorowgood, Toulousse, HDR, Collegiate... I'm missing a few - haven't had my coffee yet. Basically, look for a name-brand - if it's from England, Germany, Switzerland, France, North America, or Australia you're going in the right direction.

autumnheart 03-12-2013 10:51 AM

Thank you for your responses! I've cluelessly entered the world of horse equipment and now I feel so lost, LOL. I'm going to keep an eye out for tack but I will wait until it gets closer to when I actually buy my horse.