The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   She climbs the rails? <rant> (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/she-climbs-rails-rant-143419/)

Missy May 11-13-2012 03:15 PM

She climbs the rails? <rant>

I got a new addition, a completely untrained 2 yo haflinger filly that is shy of 13hh. She is cute and all, but, she climbs the pipe rail fencing. What the H, over? When she sees me she runs over to the fence line and climbs the rails w her front feet, much like a dog would, until she is "standing" up. Its insane. I am terrified she will hurt herself. I feel like I have to "get in" the pen as fast as I can to prevent her from climbing. And I am so worried about what she will do when I take my mare on the trail. WAH!

In addition to that, she has bamboozed her way to number one position w my mare, she is so obsessed w food to the point it amazes me, and she doesn't watch where she is putting her feet (when on the ground :-))!

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, she is as sweet and calm as the day is long, and is very willing to learn. Its just the "rail climbing" thing that blows my mind and scares me to death - not to mention has "cut into" my feeling of "freedom" to just saddle up and go!

themacpack 11-13-2012 03:40 PM

So she is climbing to get to you?
Have you tried carrying a whip with you that you can use to spank the ground and "growl" at her as soon as her first hoof even thinks about leaving the ground? If so, what was her reaction? Basically making even the thought of climbing an unpleasant experience and one she'd rather avoid having.....
(note on this one - only you can tell if she is in a mindset where this approach is likely to work or only make it worse and cause her to work harder at it and possibly hurt herself)
I wouldn't hurt myself into the pen - I understand the inclination to do that, but doing so only rewards her efforts and increases her drive to do what you want her to stop doing.

BarrelracingArabian 11-13-2012 03:42 PM

Hot wire. Put up an electric fence and she wont want to touch the fence anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

Missy May 11-13-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacpack (Post 1756287)
So she is climbing to get to you?
Have you tried carrying a whip with you that you can use to spank the ground and "growl" at her as soon as her first hoof even thinks about leaving the ground? If so, what was her reaction? Basically making even the thought of climbing an unpleasant experience and one she'd rather avoid having.....
(note on this one - only you can tell if she is in a mindset where this approach is likely to work or only make it worse and cause her to work harder at it and possibly hurt herself)
I wouldn't hurt myself into the pen - I understand the inclination to do that, but doing so only rewards her efforts and increases her drive to do what you want her to stop doing.

Thats the tricky part, I don't want her to feel "rushed" to get down if I come toward her thinking the ground or rail might get the wrath of my whip - and then slip and get hurt. She is a bit of a Klutz at this stage - except the precision climbing :). It the wierdest thing I think I have seen a horse do. I didn't think to ask when I bought her, "does she climb?"

And arabbarrel, it isn't feasable to put up electric fence at her height inside the metal rails...oh, and she will climb the gates, too!! But, if I could...zap! :) And, I would hate to "punish" my mare w the zap.

If I wanted a circus horse, I suppose I would be in luck.

With Grace 11-13-2012 05:14 PM

I think we need pics of the rail climbing pony...

Lins 11-13-2012 05:27 PM

I'm not sure what else you could do other then hotwire. Can you post a pic of the fence?
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 11-13-2012 05:43 PM

We had a 13hand new forest that did this - we tried 'hot wire' and she learnt to wriggle under it and then under the rail fence
She could break her leg if she gets caught up somehow so must be a worry for you
We ended up putting very rigid wire mesh all around her paddock and 2 feet above the original height of the fence - has to be small enough for them not to get a hoof through it and strong enough for them not to break it. Our pony even tried climbing over the top of stable doors so always had to have a metal grille
Any bossy attitude soon gets sorted by consistent firm but fair, she just doesnt understand boundaries and rules yet.

NorthernMama 11-13-2012 06:02 PM

Subbing for answers. Interesting problem.

FlyGap 11-13-2012 06:28 PM

28 Attachment(s)
Oh no missy! A Houdini circus pony! I've had two, had two being the opporitave phrase!
I agree, put up no climb or solid panels at least in the most frequent areas?
Posted via Mobile Device

Samstead 11-13-2012 06:52 PM

I recommend not breeding your horse to a monkey next time..