The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   New horse I picked up today! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/new-horse-i-picked-up-today-143423/)

Cowgirls Boots 11-13-2012 04:51 PM

New horse I picked up today!

125 Attachment(s)
Well, I ended up picking up my new horse today. The last two I asked for critiques on I ended up passing. My new horse is a 13 year old Paint gelding. He is 15 hands but seems hes lost quite a bit of muscle from summer to now...I am planning on worming him and i would like to do a power pack (if anyone could give me more info on them? Ive never actually used one) And he is in with my horses now. They were all wormed at the beginning of the month but would you advise that i re-worm them all again as i give the new guy a power pack? Any insight on that issue is appericiated. He also did colic last month. It was gas colic and they gave him banamine and after a few hours he apparently let the farts rip and he was fine.:lol:

Anyway, so i would like to know what y'all think about him. I know he needs muscle..his butt had none and his spine sticks out and is sunken in around it..my mare looked like this when i got her but with proper feedings she filled out nicely. I do have pix of him from summer from the person i bought him from, which i will post. (the person i bought him from is also the trainer i sent one of my horses to previously) Im not sure why hes lost so much muscle but maybe you guys can comment on that.

He is bombproof and anyone can supposidly ride. Hes a cutie for sure! Any insight is appericiated :)

I dont exactly have any great conformation pictures but i will post what i have. I just would like to know if you see anything glairingly wrong with him or opinions on his weight/muscle...anything!! ..thanks :D

I will get better pictures when I go back to feed in a bit cause im in the way in most of them :)

First two are from summer, the rest are from today.

DraftyAiresMum 11-13-2012 05:03 PM

First thing that jumps out to me is how long his back is, especially in relation to his legs.

His shoulder appears to be fairly upright. He looks like he needs his feet done and his pasterns are overly-sloped because of it. I do like the length of his pasterns, though. His hocks are nice and low. He's got good bone on him. Something about his butt (the length of it, not the shape) bothers me, but I can't quite put my finger on it...actually, it's his whole hip/butt area. It looks like it belongs on a different horse entirely. O.o

MangoRoX87 11-13-2012 05:15 PM

Honestly, I don't see any horrific things wrong with him, he looks like a good sturdy mount :)

churumbeque 11-13-2012 05:51 PM

I would suggest you consult your vet with the questions about power pac

tinyliny 11-13-2012 06:37 PM

he looks very QH'y. he'll be a great trail mount. I love that he's wearing "mascara".

Cowgirls Boots 11-13-2012 06:56 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Yeah. He's gray and white and I was told paint but its anyone's guess! He's a good boy, settling in well.
Posted via Mobile Device

autumnheart 11-13-2012 07:11 PM

Congratulations on your new horse. Very exciting! He's a cutie for sure.

Spotted 11-13-2012 07:30 PM

Congrats! love his big butt and his eye liner :)

Spotted 11-13-2012 07:34 PM

I would just worm him and then do all in three months. Ask your vet. Horses/animals will always have worm/parasites it's just a matter of keeping them under control to keep them healthy.

Muppetgirl 11-13-2012 08:05 PM

Love the big butt! After a few months of work you'll have some nice cut lines on it!!! I'm partial to big butts.....I was even born with one!!! :lol: