The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   What Type of Jumps Do You Prefer? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/what-type-jumps-do-you-prefer-143426/)

Phantomcolt18 11-13-2012 04:28 PM

What Type of Jumps Do You Prefer?

Jumpers.

What type of jump rails do you prefer?
-The wooden rails like these?
http://www.olddominionjumps.com/railsSm.jpg
http://www.jumpswest.com/images/western5.jpg

Or the heavy duty PVC pipes? If the pipes what size usually(width)?

What are the benefits of each?
What are the downfalls of each?

Which do you like best and why?

Thanks =)

gypsygirl 11-13-2012 04:29 PM

wood poles, i hate pvc.

pvc poles can shatter if they get caught between the legs or stepped on.

heymckate 11-13-2012 04:55 PM

I like PVC if jumps are going to be set up/taken down on a regular basis. It's a lot easier to haul PVC back and forth than heavy duty wood. They weigh less, and you don't get splinters.

Otherwise, I prefer wood. Safer, don't fall off jump cups in a light breeze like PVC will sometimes do, not hollow so critters can't hide in the poles, and they're a little more solid, which in some cases means the horses respect the wood poles more.

MyBoyPuck 11-13-2012 05:46 PM

Wood hands down. Once horse's figure out they can knock down the PVC poles, they get lazy since there's no cause and affect in play. Don't want to teach a horse how to knock down poles.

Phantomcolt18 11-13-2012 07:30 PM

Thanks guys. I'll opt for the wood then. It's heavier but hey I could use the exercise.

What about PVC as ground lines? I already have two of the really large ones that are about the size (in diameter) of a large coffe can and man they're heavy. I'm trying to figure out what to do with them haha they're just sitting around taking up space.

equinegirl26 11-13-2012 07:43 PM

Wood. (:

Paintlover1965 11-13-2012 07:50 PM

I have wooden poles and standards. Granted they're heavy but I was afraid of the pvc poles shattering and injuring my horses. They love jumping fallen trees on the trail too! So, for me it was an obvious choice. One of the other boarders at the barn broke one of the BO's pvc poles and it shattered and splintered like glass.

alexischristina 11-13-2012 09:58 PM

I wouldn't use PVC as ground lines- heck, I think using them as ground lines would be worse than using them as jumps. Imagine your horse stepping on one and shattering it into their foot? Crashing through the jump and landing on it? I don't like PVC at all.

Standardbred 11-14-2012 12:07 AM

I use PVC as I can't afford wood.
I went to the local reuse shop and bought a couple of PVC pipes, the cost around $10 each and two of them were already painted!!!!
Wooden ones usually cost AT LEAST $35 each for unpainted ones, painted ones start at around $45.
I find that they do blow away if the wind is strong, this can be avioded by putting stone into the ends(above the jump cups) so that they are more secure and require more of a knock to knock them down but they do fall down which makes them safe.
I had a horse who had no respect for poles, he would knock them down willy-nilly every wich direction. I used a PVC pipe, he stood on it and it did not shatter, it dented and made a noise, this freaked him out and he no longer hits fences. I inspected the pipe and it showed no cracks etc.

Phantomcolt18 11-14-2012 12:34 AM

Wow I've never heard so many cases of it shattering, I know so many people who use the PVC and haven't had an issue....yet. I guess I'll find something creative for those two pipes I have. I plan on making my own standards out of wood (I'm tired of milk crates =P) so I'll just pick up some wood poles and paint them with non-toxic paint. Can anyone recommend a brand that holds up fairly well to weather?(As I doubt I'll be moving those heavy things around much haha)