The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Palomino: A Breed or a Color? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/palomino-breed-color-143436/)

poundinghooves 11-13-2012 06:05 PM

Palomino: A Breed or a Color?

I've always wondered if a Palomino is considered a breed or a color. I learned to ride on a Palomino Quarter Horse named Bailey. Bailey is a registered Quarter Horse of Palomino color. However, I am looking at a pony/horse that is a "Palomino". That's what the owner said the breed was. I have a horse breed book that says Palomino is considered a breed in the US only. Can anyone shed a little light on this? Thanks!

Poseidon 11-13-2012 06:06 PM

Palomino is not a breed. Nor is buckskin, which is also listed as a "breed" once in a while. They are just colors that exist within many breeds.

poundinghooves 11-13-2012 06:13 PM

Yeah, I've seen "Buckskin" listed as a breed on a website where you can post horses for sale. EquineNow, I think.

Reno Bay 11-13-2012 06:15 PM

Palomino, in the US, is what is called a "color breed"...basically meaning we have a Palomino Horse Breeders Association that only accepts palomino-COLORED horses regardless of BREED. That makes it too complicated IMO. Palomino is a color, not a breed. If the horse is registered in the PHBA, then there should be some record of its actual BREED.

poundinghooves 11-13-2012 06:17 PM

I don't think there's any papers so I don't know what it's breed is. It's kind of stocky though.

Reno Bay 11-13-2012 06:21 PM

Well I don't think breed really matters if it's a good horse. The only time breed would really matter, to me, was if you planned to produce offspring (considering some genetic issues in some breeds that could crop up; Arabians, Appaloosas, Quarters).

poundinghooves 11-13-2012 06:28 PM

I don't care about breed a whole lot either as I do not plan to breed her. Maybe I'll post some pictures sometime and you guys can guess her breed? :)

Mochachino 11-13-2012 06:51 PM

I was wondering this question myself the other day when our school had a book fair and I picked up a book entitled "Breeds of Horses" and saw the pali listed as a breed.

poundinghooves 11-13-2012 06:52 PM

Yep, pretty confusing :D

ponyboy 11-13-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochachino (Post 1756467)
I was wondering this question myself the other day when our school had a book fair and I picked up a book entitled "Breeds of Horses" and saw the pali listed as a breed.

It must have been an old book. People in the US tried to make Palomino horses into a breed but we know now that it's not possible. Palomino coloring is the result of two genes which means crossing Palomino X Palomino will only ever give you a 50% chance of producing another Palomino. Therefore it can't be a distinct breed.