The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Bitless Bridle?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/bitless-bridle-143446/)

Gwyneth 11-13-2012 06:01 PM

Bitless Bridle??

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what everyone thought about these bitless bridles I have found? Here are the links- The Barefoot-Finally a better treeless saddle! The Barefoot-Finally a better treeless saddle! Dr. Cook's Padded BitlessBridle™ | Dover Saddlery
I would like one that doesn't put all of the pressure on the nose. If anyone else has any other bitless bridles that you know is good, then please say!
Thanks in advance.

karenweg 11-16-2012 05:54 PM

LG Zaum bitless bridle

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Gwyneth,
I just came back from a trip to Germany and stumbled upon a very interesting bitless bridle design, which distributes pressure onto poll, nose and chin. It works especially well for fine communication with a light hand i.e. in dressage, but it's also popular with endurance riders in Europe. Its name is LG zaum bitless bridle system, LG bridle or Gluecksrad.

I have been using a Dr Cook Bitless Bridle before with my mare, and it worked for most things we did. My arab just didn't like that the release is so slow; she wants freedom of her head, which I can now get easily with the LG (just a very light contact is necessary to get her to round up - I ride dressage).

I have used a halter and indian bosal besides the Dr. Cook, but the LG zaum is by far the best, because the most precise. It feels just like a bitted bridle.

Ironless Horse 12-02-2012 12:12 AM

You might want to check out the "Q" Bitless Rope Bridle

http://www.bitlessropebridle.com

bsms 12-02-2012 12:20 AM

I like the look of the LG zaum bitless bridle, but at $125 I think I'll pass. Looks like it ought to be about $20. But it looks like one of the better approaches, to me.

karenweg 12-02-2012 01:24 PM

Like any good piece of equipment, this one is not cheap, but well worth its price. A good bit costs about the same.
Experienced horsemen like Craig Cameron recommend to buy one or two pieces of high-quality tack per year, thus replacing the cheap stuff one has, and developing a good base this way.
Besides, Christmas is coming up :)

joseeandjade11 12-02-2012 09:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I use the Nurtural Bitless Bridle and love it so much, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. My mare is very responsive to it, she turns, halts and backs up very nicely too! All the horses where I board are riding with the nurtural bitless bridle ;)

Attachment 120365
Attachment 120370
Attachment 120395
Attachment 120381

If you have any questions at all about this bitless bridle, visit this website or private message me ;)
Nurtural Bitless Bridle The better bitless bridle

prettypony 12-09-2012 07:55 PM

I have a Nurtural too! Love it to bits. Plus, it's Canadian made. :D
Really depends what your horse likes. The Nurtural is a crossunder style (like the Dr. Cook, some differences), so it has a squeezing effect on the whole head. Your horse may prefer a simple sidepull. Ask around your barn or horsey friends, maybe someone has something you could borrow and try on your horse first?
I know I've seen the Nurtural in Lammle's and Greenhawk, you could always ask what their trial/return policy is.

EthanQ 12-09-2012 08:03 PM

To see if your horse likes a sidepull, take your nylon halter and clip the reins to the side rings. Basically the same thing...hits the same pressure points. I personally like the western bosal and rope halter.

joseeandjade11 12-10-2012 08:00 PM

Yep side pulls are good as well, never tried a Dr. Cook so I don't know if their any good, i just chose the Nurtural because it had good reviews, it's canadian made, has the circle X underneath the chin and i loved how you could get different styles and colors :D
And the squeezing effect is only applied under the chin and nose when you pull softly and if you pull really hard it puts pressure on top of the poll as well

WickedNag 12-10-2012 08:29 PM

I had a Dr Cook was not happy with it. Sold it to a friend who had just ordered one, so she could send her's back and save some money. Not sure if she ended up liking it or not. Think I will ask her.