The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Gaited horse...again! lol (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/gaited-horse-again-lol-143477/)

Horsecrazy4ever 11-13-2012 09:57 PM

Gaited horse...again! lol

I would like some advice on my gaited horse(missouri fox trotter)

I am very new to gaited horses and was just wondering if I can barrel race on them?? I would think so, but I would like to hear from those who do... are they better or worse then a QH??

Also, I have no idea how to teach a horse to barrel race... but I want a challenge! lol -- Does anyone have any good YOUTUBE video's of how to train a horse to barrel race?

And do you wanna barrel race in a HACK or a BIT? I ride him in a hack and he is very responsive :) Also, do you wanna plow rein or neck rein when BR?

I know very little about GAMING a horse, but I thought there was no better time then the present to learn :D

Thanks in advance :)

Brighteyes 11-13-2012 10:14 PM

I can answer the first part a little! My mare's sire was a SSHBEA sport horse champion. (My mare could also out sprint a barrel racing QH on a straight away, but I never tried her on barrels.) They did a lot of events on that stud: barrels, poles, cattle work, reining, to name a few. From the videos I've seen, he was a amazing SSH barrel racer, but not much compared to a good QH. So yes; you CAN barrel race a gaited. I don't see where you get the idea you can't? They'll be about as good as any other breed put into a job they weren't bred for. :wink:

Nightside 11-13-2012 10:36 PM

I've never taken a riding lesson and nobody ever taught me much about barrel racing. I looked up the basic pattern and got my turn-on-a-dime speed demon gelding and gave it a go. Basically just memorize the pattern and start walking it, and go faster with tighter turns the more you and the horse get familiar with it.

I raced in a snaffle, and as for reins, I started out neck reining and as I got up to the barrel I would slide one hand up and plow rein him around the barrel, then let him go. That was just to teach him. Once he memorized the pattern and knew what was expected he would fly through it with little guidance and he never needed encouragemet for speed. They really have to love it.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 11-14-2012 10:00 PM

I don't see why you can't. The TWH I ride now knows how to slide. They can canter so it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, there is A LOT more to barrel racing then running as fast as you can around 3 barrels. If your going to go the "do it yourself" route then buy some videos from some professionals!! You can also take a lesson every few weeks then practice what you do in your lessons. As easy as it seems there are a lot of good horses who get downright ruined by anxiety, being yanked around and run to hard. They literally lose their minds without properly being introduced and trained in barrels. Then you will have a resource to go to when you have questions like barrel racing in a snaffle or a hackamore...
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy 11-17-2012 06:18 PM

Yes, of all the gaited breeds MFT's are one of the best choices for other sports because their gait is the closest to a trot.