The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Do you know of Nokotas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/do-you-know-nokotas-143492/)

Nokotaheaven 11-14-2012 01:44 AM

Do you know of Nokotas?

Was just wondering is anyone else on here knows of, or has, a Nokota horse. Either way here's a page full of info on them :)
Nokota Horse

The one i have is Spirit. The things said in the description that fit her:
-Easy keeper
-Distinctive square hindquarters
-Exceptionally thick winter coat with leg feathering
-grey grulla with bald face
-More playful than most (most playful horse ive ever known)
-Observant and always thinking
-Sociable, kind, intelligent, and openly honest in her communications and actions
-Is the smartest horse I've ever known.

SlideStop 11-14-2012 09:47 PM

They seem to have made a break into reining. I've seen a few adds and they are pretty pricey. All and all they look like a nice hardy breed, something that would make a lovely mount for hard work.

What makes them different then mustangs? Even if they are there own separate breed I would think mustang got in there some how.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nokotaheaven 11-15-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 1758529)
They seem to have made a break into reining. I've seen a few adds and they are pretty pricey. All and all they look like a nice hardy breed, something that would make a lovely mount for hard work.

What makes them different then mustangs? Even if they are there own separate breed I would think mustang got in there some how.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, they are.
And essentially they are mustangs, but are thought to be the descendants of Chief Sitting Bull's herd. They are basically a distinct type of mustang that was nearly wiped out

boots 11-15-2012 04:19 PM

I know Nakota people and no Nakota horses. I know there have been some whites that want to standardize a breed and call them Nakota, and the Nakota tribes wouldn't mind capitalizing on that. Can't blame them. If it goes well, I wish them all well.

Puddintat 11-15-2012 04:24 PM

I want one!! :happydance:

Nokotaheaven 11-15-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puddintat (Post 1759556)
I want one!! :happydance:

Haha! Well as far as I know there's breeders in Minnessota, Illinois, North Dakota, and idk where else

walkwavy 11-15-2012 08:46 PM

There is no facts that these horses are descendants of Chief Sitting Bull's herd. That is a "made up story by the Kuntzs.

"distinct type of mustang that was nearly wiped out" is not true either. They have sold hundreds to kill buyers for years including this year.

Mariss 11-16-2012 02:25 AM

Never heard of them, thanks for sharing! So interesting!

muumi 11-16-2012 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkwavy (Post 1759827)
There is no facts that these horses are descendants of Chief Sitting Bull's herd. That is a "made up story by the Kuntzs.

"distinct type of mustang that was nearly wiped out" is not true either. They have sold hundreds to kill buyers for years including this year.

I think she meant nearly wiped out 'in the past', which certainly sounds true.

As for the Sitting Bull statement, its stated they are 'thought to be', which equals in itself that no one considers it a fact.

walkwavy 11-16-2012 05:47 AM

Actually the Nokota Horses Conservancy sells this Sitting Bull story all the time and have for years.

These horses have never been 'nearly wiped out" and there would be many more had they stopped the sell to the kill market.