The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   I think my Filly has Rabicano? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/i-think-my-filly-has-rabicano-143584/)

TaraBearaIsBack 11-14-2012 07:37 PM

I think my Filly has Rabicano?

2 Attachment(s)
So I have this AQHA Filly who's dam is a buckskin and her dad is a chestnut, neither have much white or any roan breeding or rabicano, but it seems to me like my little Scarlett has some Rabicano Markings! I think it's cute, but I was wondering if anyone agreed with me? And Does anyone know if that's something I could have put on her papers? I only put one picture of her side because both sides look like that and the other one was in bad lighting at the time.
Thanks!:D

TaraBearaIsBack 11-14-2012 07:39 PM

Oh! And if you'd like to check out my blog about my little Scarlett I would appreciate it a lot! About Scarlett - The Life of Miss Scarlett and Tara
:)

NdAppy 11-14-2012 08:10 PM

On your blog you have her dam listed as dun? She's for sure not a dun IMPO (the dam)

Personally not really seeing anything that screams rabicano. Your best best is to wait for her to shed in the spring.

SaddleStrings 11-17-2012 09:57 PM

Your filly Doesn't seem to have Rabicano markings. I'm seeing possibly some roaning on her flanks, but defiantly not the usual Rabicano markings. Like NdAppt said, we may have a better guess when she sheds out in the spring.

mysticdragon72 11-20-2012 05:41 PM

Yah.. I agree with the above two posts.. she looks like a typical bay to me.

TaraBearaIsBack 11-20-2012 06:08 PM

I've realized that the pictures don't show the white very well.. I agree I'll be able to tell by spring though! She definitely has some roaning on her flanks and then she does have some white above her tail that you can really see in the pictures. Also she has a few white hairs on the sides of her tail as well.

Joie 11-20-2012 06:41 PM

That filly is bay, IMO. She looks very typical bay. Maybe rabicano, too.

MelissaAnn 11-20-2012 06:50 PM

A few white hairs does not describe rabicano. Or roan. It just means she has a few white hairs.

TaraBearaIsBack 11-20-2012 06:58 PM

I've read that the Rabicano coloring usually consists of roaning at the flanks and white hair on or around the tail, and that's what it has looked like to me; I'll try to take some better pictures of her tail and her sides soon to put up.

MelissaAnn 11-20-2012 07:21 PM

Yes, but you must understand that a few white hairs is not the same as roaning.