The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Severed Extensor Tendon **(Graphic Photos) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/severed-extensor-tendon-%2A%2A-graphic-photos-143602/)

mygirllola 11-14-2012 10:25 PM

Severed Extensor Tendon **(Graphic Photos)

7 Attachment(s)
I am sad to say my 5 year old tb got caught up in some wire out in his pasture :( On October 17th another boarder at my barn called me to let me know Jaxx had a terrible injury. I rushed out to the barn and got there as they were bringing him in from the field. He was walking on his fetlock and there was blood EVERYWHERE as the artery was open. We wrapped his leg up to stop the blood as much as possible while we were waiting for the vet. The vet had to cauterize and suture his artery. The bone was completely exposed and I was told his extensor tendon was completely severed. Doc gave me a very gaurded prognosis and wanted me to put him down. We decided to give him 48 hours to see how he would do. The next day (October 18th) blood was coming from under his bandage which was Furazone, Telfa Pads, rolled gauze, 2 layers of cotton and vetwrap, so we knew there was alot of bleeding. Doc came back out and sure enough his artery re opened. This time doc had trouble closing it, and things were not looking very good, but we decided to give him a few more days. On October 21 he came back out to rechange the bandages. Jaxx was still knuckling over a little, but no where near as bad as it was. Doc rechanged the bandages, but i wanted to get a second opinion because of the extent of the injury and i didnt agree with some of his treatment plans.

A few days later Doc. Lewis came out. We changed the sauve to AntiCell (i believe) and put standing wraps over the bandages for more support. A few weeks went by with constant improvements. We delt with some minor proud flesh but equaide cleared that right up!

Today- Wednesday Nov 14, almost a month after the injury Jaxx is doing amazing! His right hind leg (just a few cuts) doesnt get bangaged anymore and is almost completely healed! His left hind leg now only gets 3 Telfa's with the AntiCell, rolled gauze, one small patch of cotton, and the standing wrap. We change it every 2 days now because he is not producing as much serum and fluids as before. I am hoping to hear your personal experiences and success stories for this type of injury! He has only been off the track a year, but he has been such a good sport about the whole thing!

Pictures:
1. How he was found in the feild, Oct 17
2. October 18
3. October 21
4. 2 weeks ago
5. 1 week ago
6. November 14
7. Right leg, November 14 (before it was cleaned with warm water and cotton)

Sorry for the horizontal pictures. Thanks for reading!

mygirllola 11-14-2012 10:34 PM

Forgot to add! He was getting 30cc of penecillin 2 times daily, then switched over to uniprim in his AM feed for 1 week. He has been getting 1 gram of bute twice daily as well. I know bute can create ulcers if its used for a long time. Do you think he should be put on an ulcer gaurd too?

Sharpie 11-14-2012 10:51 PM

Ouch! It looks like it's starting to heal up well though. I would watch him closely for any signs of ulcers (loss of appetite, diarrhea, colicy, sudden changes in attitude), but the ulcerguard couldn't hurt!

mygirllola 11-16-2012 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yesterday was a good day! Doc came out and said everything was looking really good! His right leg (minor cuts) isnt coming along as fast as doc had hoped but thats because we were out of the equaide to put on it. Jaxx only gets 1 gram of bute a day now and his bandage can stay on 2-3 days. We are starting to see new skin growth as well! He has also been walking on it like a pro. The gel we are putting on the leg is called inter-cell, not anticell lol.

November 15, 2012

Army wife 11-16-2012 07:59 PM

yay for new growth!!!

Chevaux 11-16-2012 08:04 PM

I don't mind telling you I had to screw up my courage to open this post but I'm glad to hear and see improvement in your boy.

equiniphile 11-16-2012 08:18 PM

Wow, it's looking so much better! Good luck, and keep us posted on his progress. :-)

tinyliny 11-16-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 1761005)
I don't mind telling you I had to screw up my courage to open this post but I'm glad to hear and see improvement in your boy.

Yeah, and I made the mistake of doing it while eating.

I am always in amazement at how horses can have such horrific injuries, with the bone in plain sight, and recover completely. I hope that your horse recoveres completely, but am wondering if the vet says he can.

blue eyed pony 11-16-2012 08:40 PM

Mind if I share not my experience but a friend's?

My friend, we'll call her May [not her actual name] was on holiday, someone was looking after her horses while she was away. All of a sudden May gets a phone call... there's been a big storm and there are three injured horses on her property [they have a few, May's mother breeds Arabs]... and May's project pony, a beautiful Welsh D called Peggy [actual name] had really bad cuts on her hind legs, one right the way to the bone. Was found upside-down in a drainage ditch with mud coating the legs.

Vet was out and treated. By the time Peggy was found she had been in the ditch injured for some time, the wound was not brand new and fresh. Vet's prognosis was, Pegs would be lucky to ever be sound enough for light riding. Basically she was facing a future as a broodmare, IF she even survived. Infection was a very real danger.

Peggy's recovery was long and often frightening, and she re-injured herself cutting open the healing leg a few times, but one year to the day after the injury happened, May saddled up and RODE. Now, another year or two later, Peggy is doing everything a normal horse would do with absolutely no lasting ill effects. There's barely even a scar and trust me it was a HUGE wound.

Whatever you do, don't lose hope. Pegs severed her extensor too and she has returned to full dressage work and low-level jumping, is actually more advanced now than she was before she did the injury.

Elana 11-17-2012 09:45 AM

I look at these and while I sure do support all you have done to get to the end of a raod with full recovery, can you share the financial outlay of this recovery (roughly) and where you are located (if in the US (east, midwest, west..and so forth).

If you are uncomfortable sharing that is OK.. and I would not want to take away from the story that a complete recovery is the goal and that complete recovery from similar injuries has been accomplished.

I just am wondering the $$ cost involved.