The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Warlanders (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/warlanders-143631/)

Ganonman 11-15-2012 04:58 AM

Warlanders

I have done some reading on a newer breed that are called Warlanders. They are Friesian-Andalusian crossed horses that are meant to be similar to the horses the Spanish road while in the Netherlands. I have never seen one, let alone heard of one in N.America. Has anybody here heard if they even exist in the western world?

Ellieandrose 11-15-2012 05:25 AM

Never heard or seen one but I just Googled it. I wouldn't mind having one in the paddock..

Lins 11-15-2012 05:36 AM

Yay, another invention of a "new breed" by crossing a Friesian with a random, totally different purpose bred breed.

I love Friesians, but this fad is really going overboard.
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyboy 11-17-2012 06:14 PM

Last I looked, there were a few Friesian studs in the US that also bred Warlanders. Of course they aren't a real breed yet, just a cross but at least it's a cross that makes sense.

kayleeloveslaneandlana 11-17-2012 06:29 PM

I have seen a couple Warlanders and I do like them. Of course like any new popular breed, I'm sure they are going to be over bred, over priced, then the breed will have some type of problem.

BUT I wouldn't mind looking out my window to see one everyday! :D

Nokotaheaven 11-18-2012 12:01 AM

As if fresians and andalusians weren't already alike in their ancestry..... now another 'new' breed to add to an overpopulating horse world... Just what was needed. They are pretty though, eeven though really all it did was add colour to fresians...

SorrelHorse 11-18-2012 12:05 AM

Personally I really like Warlanders. I don't mind a colorful friesian feathery thing. ;'D

blue eyed pony 11-18-2012 06:26 AM

There's one down the road from me. STUNNING horse. Not dissimilar in type, the two breeds [though the Friesian is generally heavier], so it's a cross that generally speaking works quite well. The mare down the road is at this stage just a very pretty trail horse but her owner is happy. She'll be a dressage horse when her owner has more time [mum with young children, so she's really too busy to show] and is built really well for it and moves awesomely.

...and I don't like EITHER breed as a whole, but I love Warlanders.

ponyboy 11-18-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven (Post 1762442)
As if fresians and andalusians weren't already alike in their ancestry..... now another 'new' breed to add to an overpopulating horse world... Just what was needed. They are pretty though, eeven though really all it did was add colour to fresians...

I don't understand why so many people are against creating new breeds. If you're worried about horse overpopulation, talk to QH breeders.

And yes Friesians and Andalusions are similar - that's the point. This is a way to deepen the gene pool while creating a similar kind of horse. A Friesian X Australian Stock Horse - now that would make no sense!

blue eyed pony 11-19-2012 10:40 AM

Ponyboy I have actually SEEN a Friesian/ASH. Ughhhhh. Ugliest looking horse I have EVER seen and they wanted $8000 for it!