The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   Looking For Experience in Virginia (no pay) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/looking-experience-virginia-no-pay-143661/)

horsehealer122 11-15-2012 11:21 AM

Looking For Experience in Virginia (no pay)

Hi, I really would like to get experience with horses. I live in Winchester. And I'm almost a teen. I don't have much experience riding. But at my relatives farm I took care of the horses. (they treated them poorly) If you have a job opening please reply. Also I'm very responsible. And I'm not just saying that, I really am.

Speed Racer 11-15-2012 11:47 AM

It's great that you have initiative and are willing to work for your horse fix, but most places can't hire someone under 14 y/o even if it's a nonpaying position. Child labor laws apply.

Even once you're 14 y/o, you'll need a work permit from your school district and you'll be restricted to the things you're allowed to do and be around. That is of course, as long as whoever's doing the hiring is following current VA law.

Good luck, dear. I remember being a horse crazy youngster, and I would have given anything to even just be allowed to clean stalls if that meant I could be around horses.

horsehealer122 11-15-2012 11:49 AM

Do you have any advice on how I could get experience with horses then?

DancingArabian 11-15-2012 11:50 AM

I suggest taking lessons with a barn. If your parents can't afford them then try doing odd jobs and such for cash and save up.
Posted via Mobile Device

farmpony84 11-15-2012 11:54 AM

I'm pretty sure you can volunteer. That's differen then working and since you aren't looking for pay, only experience. I would put signs up at local tack shops offering to clean stalls in exchange for lessons. You can also look for any local therapeutic places that may be looking for volunteers.

It's really hard to break into the horse world as a child. I wish you the best of luck. You are definitely in a good area for horses...

horsehealer122 11-15-2012 11:59 AM

I meant volunteer not work.

horsehealer122 11-15-2012 11:59 AM

oops. messed that up, ignore the qr

Speed Racer 11-15-2012 12:01 PM

Even a volunteer position is still considered work, farm.

If she wanted to trade stall cleaning and such for lessons she could probably get around it, but Winchester's a pretty pricey area and unless she's already an established student, most barns aren't going to want to take on an unknown.

Besides, how would she get back and forth? Since she's a minor, she'd be dependent on an adult to take her back and forth to the barn. How willing are the adults in her life to accommodate that? All of that needs to be hammered out before she even thinks about putting up flyers and signs.

DancingArabian 11-15-2012 12:21 PM

She's way underage so its more complicated than a work exchange for lessons. Most barns don't allow people under 16 to be in the barn unsupervised (at least around where I am) and a lot of barns with strong lesson programs are too busy to supervise an inexperienced pre-teen. On top of that, she's going to need rides to/from. Volunteer programs I believe still require you to be at least 16.
Posted via Mobile Device

horsehealer122 11-15-2012 12:48 PM

Listen guys, I don't mean to be rude or anything but, please only post if you would like me to volunteer or know a place where I can volunteer. Plus I'm homeschooled so I can volunteer during school hours.