The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Equines (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/)
-   -   Bored old mule (http://www.horseforum.com/other-equines/bored-old-mule-143678/)

SMMJessee 11-15-2012 02:44 PM

Bored old mule

Hello,
I have an old mule and his shoulders are quite bad ( he was roped hard off of in his younger years)

His shoulders arent "injured" there just "done" he only walks now but is still very happy.

We have been keeping him in our indoor arena for these reasons :

He doesnt need a blanket because its warm ( he doesnt like blankets because they bug his shoulders)

He cant slip ( this is the main reason because it is soooooo icey outside he could easily slip and break somthing or even slip his shoulder out of the socket)

His arthritis isnt acting up ( when horses have arthritis the colder it is the more it will act up )

It is nice and comfy ( he loves the to roll and sleep in the sand )

He has room to walk ( since his shoulders are worn out he likes to walk around to make them feel better so the arena is nice and big)

All of these are helping him much more then him being outside in the slippery cold

He has hay and water and a bucket for his grain.
But he is bored :( Every day or second day he gets to go out in the field with his old friend ( his old friends name is buck)

But when hes in the arena he is bored, i was thinking that maybe putting buck in the arena would cheer hi up but buck would probley destroy the arena or work himself into a sweat and colic.....

I set up some pole bending poles and he likes to go and knock them down but he is getting kind of bored of that.

I was thinking of geting him one of those big hangin treat things but those would probley only last him a day and i dont want to make him sick...

Oh and also he isnt the jolly ball kinda guy, he likes food and breaking things and knocking things down haha
Any help apreciated

Thanks
Megan

SMMJessee 11-15-2012 10:59 PM

any ideas please??

PunksTank 11-15-2012 11:02 PM

You could practice clicker training him! There are a lot of slow, low impact tricks he can learn. Things like 'targeting' a crop, 'standing', 'smiling', 'giving hugs' - there's lots of fun stuff - google 'horse clicker training'. Mules do especially well with CT as they just love positive reinforcement!

Spotted 11-15-2012 11:14 PM

you could get some toys, like a noodle or other things to pick up and throw around. A slow feeder hay net, will keep him occupied longer too.

SMMJessee 11-15-2012 11:40 PM

thank you both i will buy him a noodle ( that sounds funny haha sorry couldnt resist)
and i am going to try the smiling trick because i have a clicker for my dog :)

He will probley be smiling all day haha

PunksTank 11-15-2012 11:44 PM

haha xD They do! I taught my pony to bring me his halter, now whenever his stall door's open (with a stall guard) he grabs his halter and throws it at me xD
Is that your mule in your profile? he's precious ^^

SMMJessee 11-16-2012 12:18 AM

PunksTank
yup thats my old boy in the picture, he looks rough there but it was the only one small enought to fit as my avatar.. to bad you cant see his big ears :lol::lol:

I would love it if my horse brought me his halter :shock: that whould be amazing my horse just runs away haha

I was thinking of taking a mild jug and cutting some slits into it and stuffing it with oats and hay but i dont know how long it will live....

I was also thinking of putting hay in a hay net with really small mesh but im scared he will give up and starve himself

He took all the brushes out of the basket hooked to the wall and scatterd them over the arena lol that was a mess

Mariss 11-16-2012 12:23 AM

I would definitely try putting his friend in the arena! Try it for an hour or two at a time on the days that your guy doesn't get to go see him.

SMMJessee 11-16-2012 12:29 AM

you think so?? i was worried that he might work himself up and colic but i guess if i stay and supervise it cant get to bad.... i might try that tommorrow cuz it will be to icy for the old guys to go out so i will give it a shot
thank you

Megan

Mariss 11-16-2012 12:33 AM

Yeah! Just keep an eye on him, if he is visibly freaking out after like half an hour just put him back at his home! He'll probably just look at you like 'Uhm, why did you bring me in here?' and then go see when your guy is doing!