The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   HELP! where do i start? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/help-where-do-i-start-143700/)

kara5 11-15-2012 07:32 PM

HELP! where do i start?

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie to the forum and in desperate need of nutritional advice. I have a 12 yr old Irish sport horse gelding, a cribber and wind sucker but always sound and never been a problem keeping condition on. He suffers from crystals in his urine which makes him occasionally a little uncomfortable but never been a big problem, but I believe this limits my foliage options. Recently, he had an infection in his salivary gland, which was treated quite agressivley with oral metranidozole and iv penecillin for 5 days. He was very poorly during treatment, went off his food all but completely and as a result has lost condition. Vet suggested equijoule which we have been feeding daily for about two weeks along with cool mix,chaff & a probiotic + 3 nets haylage. He has been eating well again until today. He was showing signs of colic, unheard of for him. He rose eventually and passed droppings and form has improved ten fold. I worry did I introduce equijoule too quickly? Any all help welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

kara5 11-16-2012 02:03 AM

Thanks for PM , still searching!
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 11-16-2012 02:30 AM

Hi,

If the feed change was sudden, then yes, that could definitely cause problems. If you don't feed little & often - only feed 2 large meals daily for eg - that can cause hindgut problems. Equijewel is a good weight supp, but as with anything, should be part of well balanced nutrition. I would also suspect the 'crystals' in his urine are due to nutritional imbalance/OD. I'd be consulting an equine nutritionist personally.