The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Waddles. the non egg laying hussy (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/waddles-non-egg-laying-hussy-143709/)

OutOfTheLoop 11-15-2012 09:24 PM

Waddles. the non egg laying hussy

4 Attachment(s)
Some of you read the other thread that i accedently hijacked regardings to my chicken Waddles. So here is some pics I took of her today. She is the only hen I have leftout of 6 I bought from tractor supply. She is about 7 months old, and I have been awaiting eggs, but she is holding out on me. I was informed she might be a meat chicken.

My concerns are is if she is a meat chicken, her quality of life may not be up to par. I dont think she is too fat, but she was bigger than her 5 "siblings". she gets aorund just fine, and actually chased me today pecking my legs lol. So ungrateful, after I had just cleaned her coop. ;) She is my sweetheart, and follows me around like a puppy when I let her out for her daily romps. She is very vocal as well, nd yells at me the entire time. Anyways, enough rambling, here she is. So what is she, a egg chicken or a meat chicken?

Chevaux 11-15-2012 09:41 PM

By meat bird, do you mean Cornish Giant? 'Cause that's rather what she looks like to me. I used to have them many years ago. I found the cockerels were prone to going off their legs but the hens were pretty good. They will lay eggs - just not in the quantity that a Leghorn can spit out. It looks like her comb is getting some colour to it so there may be eggs soon. Also, I see she's out and about in your yard so she may have hidden eggs while out there.

OutOfTheLoop 11-15-2012 09:46 PM

She doesnt get left out unattended in the yard. The BOs dogs would eat her. She was gracious enough to let me build a coop and bring waddles with me when I moved my horse, but I don't want her dogs snacking on my hen lol. I shut the dogs in a stall and let her out for a little bit, but I follow her around, or should I say she follows me around. Unless she can lay an egg and bury it out of sight in the time it takes me to blink lol!
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 11-17-2012 02:45 PM

Some of my hens never laid eggs until they were 8 months old. Lazy birds.

FlyGap 11-19-2012 10:56 AM

What are you feeding her? She is a doll!

Speed Racer 11-19-2012 11:00 AM

Meat birds do lay eggs, but not in the quantities by chickens bred specifically for high egg production.

She could be anything, but like Chevaux I'm leaning toward Cornish Giant. Why do you think her life won't be as good if she's a meat versus egg chicken?

OutOfTheLoop 11-19-2012 11:01 AM

Lol thanks! I feed her the laying crumbles they sell at tractor supply. I bought a bag when they were on sale for 5$, and that was over two months ago I guess. She's still eating out of the same bag lol. Maybe I don't feed her enough, bit she shure doesn't look like she's starving
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 11-19-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1764052)
Meat birds do lay eggs, but not in the quantities by chickens bred specifically for high egg production.

She could be anything, but like Chevaux I'm leaning toward Cornish Giant. Why do you think her life won't be as good if she's a meat versus egg chicken?

Because google told me she would get really fat and her legs would turn blue!
Posted via Mobile Device

Celeste 11-19-2012 11:03 AM

I feed my chickens as much as they will eat. I keep the layer pellets in front of them 24/7.

Speed Racer 11-19-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutOfTheLoop (Post 1764058)
Because google told me she would get really fat and her legs would turn blue!
Posted via Mobile Device

Google lies in this case. :lol:

I plan to get combination meat and egg birds, hopefully next spring, and I fully expect them to live long, healthy, productive lives. Of course, since I'll be raising several broods for the freezer, some of them won't have LONG lives, just healthy ones. :twisted: