The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   So lame - but how do I know if my horse bucked?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/so-lame-but-how-do-i-143727/)

Mariss 11-16-2012 12:52 AM

So lame - but how do I know if my horse bucked?!

I think my pony bucked today. I've felt a horse hump up before, but I've never had one actually buck. It felt like I sank really far into and forward in the saddle and her butt came up higher than her shoulders. It was kind of a floaty feeling. Please don't think I'm lame! I disciplined her like she bucked, and I realized afterwards when trying to figure out why she did it that I suppose a possibility was that she didn't buck at all! I would feel really bad for disciplining her if that was the case!

Horseshoes and Hearts: Today was a bit rough...

Thunderspark 11-16-2012 12:57 AM

I can't say what a buck feels like, I've never had a horse buck on me. My mare has kicked out by being startled by our dogs running up behind her and I was pushed forward in the saddle LOL and I did fall off!! I was with others and they said she just kicked out......

Mariss 11-16-2012 01:02 AM

Oh no I hope you were ok!

I guess its a good thing we don't know what a buck feels like....teehee

Ian McDonald 11-16-2012 01:02 AM

You'll know.

Thunderspark 11-16-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariss (Post 1760049)
Oh no I hope you were ok!

I guess its a good thing we don't know what a buck feels like....teehee

I was fine, I slid down in slow motion and fell almost in front of her.....she stopped and put her head down to me like she was wondering what the heck I was doing.......in all the years I have ridden that was my first time in 7yrs.!!
I have seen others get bucked off and I definetly don't want to try that LOL

Mariss 11-16-2012 01:09 AM

Haha yes, even if she did buck I don't think it was a hardcore one, more of a warning buck, or a 'I don't want to do this buck' not a "i'm going to get you off my back buck" haha

Muppetgirl 11-16-2012 01:13 AM

Sounds like she crow hopped....back end flys up in the air.....easier than a buck to sit t, and usually comes in ones or twos!:lol:

Bucking is the head goes straight down and the horse throws his middle up.....looks like a staple....a lot harder to sit to, and usually once it starts they go until your off....and if they're real peeved they'll keep on bucking once your off!:lol:

Discipline her for crow hopping....a good spamk right across the rear end EVERYTIME it comes off the ground....some horses will play this game with you, make sure you have the last word...:lol:

Mariss 11-16-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1760060)
Sounds like she crow hopped....back end flys up in the air.....easier than a buck to sit t, and usually comes in ones or twos!:lol:

Bucking is the head goes straight down and the horse throws his middle up.....looks like a staple....a lot harder to sit to, and usually once it starts they go until your off....and if they're real peeved they'll keep on bucking once your off!:lol:

Discipline her for crow hopping....a good spamk right across the rear end EVERYTIME it comes off the ground....some horses will play this game with you, make sure you have the last word...:lol:

Thank you so much! Sometimes when asked for a lope she will 'shoulder out' towards the outside of the arena as a defiance, and today I got on her with my leg when I felt her doing it, and thats when she did it. So I smacked her and she had to run, and then I got off and lunged her where she had done it.

Thanks!

EvilHorseOfDoom 11-16-2012 01:21 AM

Ian, have you been videoing Brock and me training? :lol:

Might have been a little crow hop. Or might have kicked out. Naughty pony! Smack her on the bum and ask her to go forward if she does that. But be very glad you don't know what a buck feels like - some of us know all too well...
Posted via Mobile Device

Muppetgirl 11-16-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mariss (Post 1760062)
Thank you so much! Sometimes when asked for a lope she will 'shoulder out' towards the outside of the arena as a defiance, and today I got on her with my leg when I felt her doing it, and thats when she did it. So I smacked her and she had to run, and then I got off and lunged her where she had done it.

Thanks!

Haha sounds about right! I had a horse that would buddy up to other horses as I rode around the arena....virtually slam the brakes on when he got up beside one....I warned everyone in the arena of what I was about to do, and as I loped around the arena if I could feel him ignoring my leg and slowing up beside another horse I'd 'whomp' him over the rear end with my split reins, well he must've crow hopped about a dozen times around the arena EVERYTIME I whomped him for slowing down! He never did it again, but when he crow hopped it made me more determined to keep going until he quit!!! Was quite a ride, neither if a us were worse for wear when it was done....took all of probably three minutes!:-). Dont really want to have to do that again!