The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Is Vegetable Shortening Bad For Horses!?!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/vegetable-shortening-bad-horses-143788/)

ShiningStar 11-16-2012 06:26 PM

Is Vegetable Shortening Bad For Horses!?!?!

My 4y/o Neice and I were in the barn and my neice was eating a cookie and she gave it to my horse and he ate it by the time I saw. All the ingredients in the cookies are safe for horses but i am unsure about vegetable shortening! please help me! I dont know if it is safe! they were oatmeal cookies if that matters!:D

Speed Racer 11-16-2012 06:28 PM

Oatmeal cookies are fine as 'sometime' treats for horses.

ShiningStar 11-16-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1760885)
Oatmeal cookies are fine as 'sometime' treats for horses.

thanx so that means it is ok lol:D

Speed Racer 11-16-2012 06:33 PM

You're welcome.

I actually feed mine cheapo oatmeal cookies as treats. I break them up, so the horse thinks they're getting more than they actually are. :wink:

I had a question about oranges when I first got my gelding, Casper. He loves anything orange, so don't feel bad if you don't know what a horse can and can't eat. Sometimes it's hard to figure out!

ShiningStar 11-16-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1760890)
You're welcome.

I actually feed mine cheapo oatmeal cookies as treats. I break them up, so the horse thinks they're getting more than they actually are. :wink:

I had a question about oranges when I first got my gelding, Casper. He loves anything orange, so don't feel bad if you don't know what a horse can and can't eat. Sometimes it's hard to figure out!

lol I know:D

Chevaux 11-16-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1760890)
You're welcome.

...I had a question about oranges when I first got my gelding, Casper. He loves anything orange, so don't feel bad if you don't know what a horse can and can't eat. Sometimes it's hard to figure out!

And are they safe Speed Racer?

verona1016 11-16-2012 08:16 PM

When I read the title of this post I immediately thought the question was going to be about if it was OK to feed shortening as a weight gain supplement in the same way oil is used. :shock::lol:

The amount in the occasional cookie here and there should be fine, but I wouldn't recommend feeding it straight :D

Speed Racer 11-16-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevaux (Post 1760934)
And are they safe Speed Racer?

Yes ma'am, oranges are fine, just don't let them eat the peel. The oils in the peel aren't good for them.

ShiningStar 11-17-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by verona1016 (Post 1761017)
When I read the title of this post I immediately thought the question was going to be about if it was OK to feed shortening as a weight gain supplement in the same way oil is used. :shock::lol:

The amount in the occasional cookie here and there should be fine, but I wouldn't recommend feeding it straight :D

Lollll I know I think I freaked out too much lol
Thanx for the answer everybody lol:D:lol: