The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Keeping horse with full winter coat cool during riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/keeping-horse-full-winter-coat-cool-143793/)

Black Beauty 94 11-16-2012 07:52 PM

Keeping horse with full winter coat cool during riding?

Hi!
I was just wondering for those who have horses that have full winter coats (no blankets/body clipped) keep your horse from getting super sweaty during rides during the winter.
I want to be able to work him just as hard but he gets so sweaty so fast!!

Super Nova 11-16-2012 09:39 PM

You can do a partial clip with out blanketing........I do under the neck and the chest area.......this is the area they sweat the most.

Super Nova

MyBoyPuck 11-16-2012 10:13 PM

Not really much you can do. My guy only sweats if it is an unusually warm day and he's got a pretty thick coat on him. Even then it's only around the girth area. Either a hair dryer or wool cooler will be your best friend if you intend to keep him wooly bear.

tinyliny 11-16-2012 10:39 PM

Yep. not much you can do. Ours live out 24/7 so I would not clip any part of them, personally. We try to walk them out the last 15 minutes of the ride, towel them down , let them wear a cooler for 20 min after ride. But frequently, they have to go back out with some of their hair still wet. But, since even wet wool is warm, as long as it is not super windy, and they have plenty of hay, they will be fine. Think of in nature, . . . they get wet all the time and have to be out in the field witha wet rump or back due to rain. They do fine. They are animals and have super insulation to their coats.

Lexiie 11-16-2012 10:47 PM

I space out my ride, trot two rounds walk, trot more, walk, canter, walk, jump, walk.
Use the time your walking to brush up on basic things like steering off your leg, backing up, circles

Joe4d 11-16-2012 10:51 PM

why worry about it ? Let em sweat, just brush em off and walk em dry when you are done, put a fleece blanket on em for a bit to keep them from getting a chill till they are dry. Usually doesnt take too long.

Black Beauty 94 11-17-2012 10:07 PM

Could you send me a picture or something? :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Nova (Post 1761110)
You can do a partial clip with out blanketing........I do under the neck and the chest area.......this is the area they sweat the most.

Super Nova

Black Beauty 94 11-17-2012 10:09 PM

Thank you!
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1761190)
Yep. not much you can do. Ours live out 24/7 so I would not clip any part of them, personally. We try to walk them out the last 15 minutes of the ride, towel them down , let them wear a cooler for 20 min after ride. But frequently, they have to go back out with some of their hair still wet. But, since even wet wool is warm, as long as it is not super windy, and they have plenty of hay, they will be fine. Think of in nature, . . . they get wet all the time and have to be out in the field witha wet rump or back due to rain. They do fine. They are animals and have super insulation to their coats.

Black Beauty 94 11-17-2012 10:11 PM

With how my guy sweats, even after walking 45 min he is wet with a cooler!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1761210)
why worry about it ? Let em sweat, just brush em off and walk em dry when you are done, put a fleece blanket on em for a bit to keep them from getting a chill till they are dry. Usually doesnt take too long.

MySerenity 11-17-2012 10:14 PM

I spend about an hour waiting for my boy to dry off after my lesson! I put a cooler on him and toss him in a stall or cross ties. It's annoying so he is getting a trace clip next week. Then he will have a belly band fleece liner under his blanket to keep him cozy. It saves time for me and he will be more comfortable too I think. Trace clips are awesome!