The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Plus Sized Riders (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/)
-   -   Suggestions? (http://www.horseforum.com/plus-sized-riders/suggestions-143801/)

Leemew 11-16-2012 09:58 PM

Suggestions?

It's been a while since my last post. I'm madly in love with the look of a beastly looking draft horse, they're so beautiful. I've been reading dozens and dozens of posts on the Plus Sized Rider section about a horse suited for the heavier newbie rider such as myself, and the suggestions and comments are simply just mixed up. So my question is; being a young woman weighing in at an ashamed 240 pounds (but trying to lose half of it with the help of my doctor who recently found out the source of my inability to lose the weight) what breed stereotypical has the best reputation of weight bearers? Pictures of the ideal conformation would be nice, I'm still a bit confused of what the 'perfect' horse would be for a chunky rider. No, I don't plan to ride until I get to 200 or under, it's my goal. But I would still like to have a somewhat thicker horse, or one that could be comfortable under my weight.

I'm basically asking for suggestions first-hand from someone who actually rides and knows a thing or two unlike me, and do a little more research since I have time off for the holidays.
Thanks everyone in advanced.

Tracer 11-17-2012 08:21 PM

I've been doing a lot of looking into this sort of thing as I am sort of in the horse market and weigh in at 260lbs.

From my research, shorter cob-like horses are typically your best bet. Look for thick bones in the legs, short cannons and pasterns and a horse that stands square, not camped out or under. A short back is important, but can be difficult for the saddle size that our sort need.

The conformation of the leg is really important. I suggest doing some research on leg conformation and learning about all the different faults. I never realized there were so many until I started looking into it.

Leemew 11-17-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracer (Post 1762044)
shorter cob-like horses are typically your best bet

Horses such as? I honestly don't know where horses classify, like what exactly is a cob?
I've done quiet a bit of research but I've given up lately, not sure why.