The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Pros & cons of giving shots yourself from Tractor Supply? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/pros-cons-giving-shots-yourself-tractor-143815/)

Cowgirls Boots 11-16-2012 11:08 PM

Pros & cons of giving shots yourself from Tractor Supply?

125 Attachment(s)
I've recently gotten my new horse who only has a rabies shot that I'm aware of. My vet charges the same amount to administer the shot as she would if she just gave it to you to do yourself. All of my horses are due again for shots in April so I was wondering how risky is it to buy the shots from tractor supply and administer them myself? Should I just have my vet do them? Trying to look for the most cost effective as they will all be having there shots redone come April and I don't want to ring up another $300 vet bill. I will, though if its too risky using TSC shots. Am just looking for something to hold him over til Springtime when I have all my guys redone.
Thanks =)
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-16-2012 11:25 PM

Do you know HOW to give your own shots? Whether they come from TSC or the VET doesn't matter, as long as they aren't expired, it's whether or not you have the skill set to administer them and do you know what to do if there's a site reaction or God forbid, an allergic reaction?

Cowgirls Boots 11-16-2012 11:41 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I don't give shots because I'm a sissy and it squeems me out. But a very good friend knows how to do it and said she would for me. Just wanted to know if it was safer to spend the money on the vet or just buy em myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 11-16-2012 11:50 PM

You need to know where it's safe to give the shot, whether it's intramuscular or subcutaneous.

Cowgirls Boots 11-16-2012 11:54 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Like I said, my friend gives all her horses his shots from TSC and knows how, where, etc. only reason I haven't learned 100% is because I have a needle phobia. I know how to do most but can't watch. I just never have bought my own from them before so don't know which differences it could make. I normally would just call the vet out but being I just need the basics to cover him til spring I didn't want to run up another bill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 11-17-2012 12:01 AM

If you're comfortable with your friends ability and she/he is willing, it's up to you. I give all my own shots, wouldn't even consider bothering a vet for that but I have friends who won't even consider doing it themselves. All in your comfort level.

Chevaux 11-17-2012 12:10 AM

Something to be aware of: the vaccines need to be maintained at proper temperatures to maintain their effectiveness - something the vet clinic should be good at and something Tractor Supply might not be.

I used to do my own vaccinations (with the exception of rabies as it can only be done by a vet where I am) but I discovered it was just as cost effective to have the vet do it. I schedule him yearly anyways to come out for dental checkups plus dental work and rabies if required. My vet charges for the vaccine only (in addition to mileage and dental work of course) so there was no real cost saving by doing it myself. I just moved the date further back in the year to give the horses' the best chance to incorporate the vaccine into their immune systems.

Nightside 11-17-2012 12:10 AM

I do my own shots for all my critters, aside from rabies. I pretty much do all their vet work, to be honest. But I took a 4 year agricultural program in high school/college so unless I need surgery or something major, I can do it myself.

The pro is obviously the money you save. The con is having no ability to help the horse if they have a reaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

Left Hand Percherons 11-17-2012 02:15 PM

You are putting yourself and your friend in an awkward position by having her give the shots. What if something goes wrong? I would never give someone else's horse a shot even with them standing there I'll help and hold your hand during the process but never stick the needle in.

But to answer the question, TSC shots should be completely safe. Shots riding around in a vet box are much more apt to get out of temp than shots that are stored in a refrigerator. Bottom line is you need to learn how to give your own shots if that's the cost saving route you want to go. (and you will save a lot by giving your own)

Golden Horse 11-17-2012 02:50 PM

No matter how often I read the title of this thread it always get processed as

Pros and Cons of giving yourself shots from Tractor Supply :shock:

When I got brave enough to open it I realized my mistake:-P

While I don't give myself shots I do do my own horses, wouldn't do someone elses though.