The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Any ideas for a brief make-shift tiedown strap? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/any-ideas-brief-make-shift-tiedown-143820/)

SorrelHorse 11-16-2012 11:55 PM

Any ideas for a brief make-shift tiedown strap?

Okay so it's a little bit of a wierd question.

I have finally decided Ruger just needs to be in a loose tiedown. It just is. He's smacked me in the face twice, one of which resulting in a busted lip and the other an actual crack in my teeth and a chip. He is on partial lease to a girl on my team and I am terrified she is going to get hit too. There is NOTHING wrong with this horse pain wise. He's just a young thing, has the habit of throwing his head and having a tantrum every now and then.

So, that's my decision. The problem being, the only tiedown strap I can find is too short. It was for my mare who is significantly smaller and more compact so she had a pony sized one. I am baffled by where my horse sized tiedowns went, because I used to have at least four of team in my bridle bag at a time.

I plan to buy a new one ASAP. However, I have the girl coming to ride Monday. Do you guys have an idea for something I can do makeshift in the meantime? I have a TON of stuff I could work with. I am almost tempted to use an old blanket leg strap since it has snaps at both ends and goes really long.

Phly 11-17-2012 12:13 AM

Bailing twine.
Posted via Mobile Device

OutOfTheLoop 11-17-2012 10:07 AM

^^ baling twine is the horsemans duct tape.
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 11-17-2012 11:11 PM

I was gonna say bailing twine!:P

Yarn, string, old curb straps...
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 11-17-2012 11:13 PM

Oh wait I though you meant tie down hobble...*cough cough* oops....lol

Old reins, lead rope..
Posted via Mobile Device

shawn 11-19-2012 07:03 PM

I have used the lead rope and just attached it to the girth. But I ride my horses with the halters on. It works in a pinch if needed
Posted via Mobile Device