The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Coat, Mane, and Dandruff Advice (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/coat-mane-dandruff-advice-143867/)

Brendagun 11-17-2012 07:56 PM

Coat, Mane, and Dandruff Advice

I have an eight year old QH that I've been owning for about four months now. He's got the saddest little mane I've ever seen, not even two inches long and very scraggly, but has a very healthy and long tail. He'd been left in pasture a few years before I got him and was sun bleached. He's just starting to get his coloring back, but has developed very bad dandruff in his mane, and a milder dandruff on his neck. It doesn't seem to bother him very much. His coat is also rather dull. He was just wormed and updated on his shots last week, for the first time in I don't know how long.

This is my first horse, so I'm not sure on a few things. How often should I be bathing him? So far he's been washed down with Mane and Tail every month. It gets really hot where I live, and I've been getting him back into shape, so he's getting rinsed off every time he breaks a sweat. (He's in absolutely fantastic condition muscle wise now.) He also gets a nice twenty minute brushing every day. He isn't getting any supplements or vitamins, just regular hay and grass in the pasture, and a generic grain twice a day. Should I be giving him something else? I'm willing to buy whatever is needed. Also, I've been trying to avoid messing with his mane in hopes that it will grow back, though I've noticed no growth since I've gotten him. Should I just roach it off and let it grow back in, or try to salvage it?

Sorry for the very long post, and thank you in advance for any help. :lol:

ParaIndy 11-17-2012 09:51 PM

http://www.smartpakequine.com/smartshine-6317p.aspx?cm_vc=Search[/URL]

I can't really be much help, but you could try giving him a Omega 3 supplement like this one.^ It has really good reviews and I love this website.:-)

Brendagun 11-17-2012 10:05 PM

It couldn't hurt to try! The reviews look fantastic. I'll have to look in to it. Thank you very much. :D

stevenson 11-18-2012 12:03 AM

you need to rinse the sweat out of him, but the more you shampoo the drier the skin will get. brush his mane, massage the skin to remove the dead skin and to bring the natural oils out.

Brendagun 11-18-2012 12:06 AM

Yeah, I'm afraid of drying him out even more by baths. He only gets a rinse down. How often do you recommend actually bathing?

Nokotaheaven 11-18-2012 01:05 AM

I'n not sure about the mane situation... But what we've done on coats that's worked on all of our horses is give them a handful of grain/oats every day, just enough to get supplements in if they need any, but anyways give a handful and put a little bit of vegetable oil on the grain, it'll bring the coat right out for ya :)

Nokotaheaven 11-18-2012 01:07 AM

i can show you pictures if you want, and i don't even remember the last time i used shampoo on a horse but the coat still came out gorgeous

Brendagun 11-18-2012 01:12 AM

I think he might just not be cut out to have a beautiful mane. He's got a good neck for roaching, so I may just go that route if it doesn't look any better in a few months. And I'd love to see pictures! That sounds like a really simple solution.

Nokotaheaven 11-18-2012 01:47 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are the best examples i have right now. A couple horses we've used it on were really really light or were grey so it's harder to see on them sorry.
Attachment 118681
Attachment 118682
Attachment 118683
Attachment 118684
Attachment 118685
Attachment 118686

Nokotaheaven 11-18-2012 01:49 AM

By the way sorry the horses are dirty in the pics, they hadn't been brushed yet. And yeah roaching may be the best option if you think it is