The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Trailering with wound on leg? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/trailering-wound-leg-143906/)

Stoddard 11-17-2012 11:38 PM

Trailering with wound on leg?

So, at the end of this month I'll be moving Scotch again. Hopefully it'll be the last time I have to load him up into a trailer for awhile. Anyway, to the point. Butterscotch has a wound on his leg. According to the vet, it should be healed up by the time the end of the month ever rolls around. That's if nothing complicates it.

Should I make any steps to keep his freshly healed leg safe during the short travel?

If complications should arrive, prolonging the injury, what should I do to protect the wound during travel?

loveduffy 11-17-2012 11:49 PM

I would wrap both legs that weight the hurt leg will have more support if it is a little sore

stevenson 11-18-2012 12:00 AM

wrap all four legs.

Stoddard 11-18-2012 01:39 AM

I feel crummy for having to ask this, but is there any alternatives to wraps? Like, if I don't own any, is there something that could act as wraps? He'll be in the trailer for not even a ten minute trip, if that helps?

If all else fails, maybe I can purchase at least a couple for the ranch up the road.

Spotted 11-18-2012 01:42 AM

If your vet doesn't seem concerned then I wouldn't be. If he normally trailers good and isn't really lame he should be fine.

Chevaux 11-18-2012 02:16 AM

If you didn't want to go out and purchase commercially made leg protectors, you could make your own wraps out of an old sheet. They won't be heavy duty but they will help for your short trip. Rip some of the sheet into long strips and some of it into bigger squares. Make the squares big enough that they can be folded to give some padding. Use the strips to hold the squares in place and secure with a safety pin and wrap tape over that for added protection. Only wrap as tight as you need to hold the squares in place - too tight is bad for circulation.

Elana 11-18-2012 09:15 AM

You can get cotton batting pretty inexpensively and use Vetrap (not real tight) over that for a short trip. OR you may be able to BORROW wraps and wash/dry them and return them.

Elana 11-18-2012 09:17 AM

BTW it is a good idea to have cotton batting, telfa pads (big ones) and Vetrap on hand in case of an emergency. Having a set of Polo type wraps on hand is also a good thing. Keep your eye open for sales.

Stoddard 11-18-2012 01:06 PM

Thank you everyone for ALL of your advice and help! I really appreciated it!