The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Silly Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/silly-horse-143914/)

Puddintat 11-18-2012 12:13 AM

Silly Horse

For probably over a year now I've been working on Dancer's jog. Usually he wants to try and give me a huge trot. My instructor calls it his Warmblood working trot. Well, now he has decided to be a punk and only jog!!! No matter how much I squeeze, cluck, overexxagerate my posting he won't go any faster!!! Any tips? I would really like him to be able go from jog to fast trot depending on my non-posting or posting. :-)

tinyliny 11-18-2012 01:46 AM

Don't squeeze and cluck a lot. Once, twice at very most, then give Dancer a very smart reminder with a whip that he had two chances to go and now he's late. be sure not to pull him back when he leaps forward. He'll be surprised at first, so if he jumps into a canter, don't pull him out of it. Let him go and then allow him to fall back into a trot. once of twice of this will make him pay more attention to your asking. YOu have probably been "nagging" him so he's learned to tune you out. Next time you get on, have a whip (I like a dressate whip) and use it briskly.
think of this "be merciless to be merciful"

one or two times of a smart whack will save him and you many times of taps and squeezes and kicks. merciful.

Puddintat 11-18-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1762549)
Don't squeeze and cluck a lot. Once, twice at very most, then give Dancer a very smart reminder with a whip that he had two chances to go and now he's late. be sure not to pull him back when he leaps forward. He'll be surprised at first, so if he jumps into a canter, don't pull him out of it. Let him go and then allow him to fall back into a trot. once of twice of this will make him pay more attention to your asking. YOu have probably been "nagging" him so he's learned to tune you out. Next time you get on, have a whip (I like a dressate whip) and use it briskly.
think of this "be merciless to be merciful"

one or two times of a smart whack will save him and you many times of taps and squeezes and kicks. merciful.

You're saying this to the girl who is afraid to canter!! lol I will give it a go, though. thanks! :razz: