The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   44" Too Big! 42" Too Small! Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/44-too-big-42-too-small-143918/)

Klassic Superstar 11-18-2012 02:04 AM

44" Too Big! 42" Too Small! Help!

Extremly frustrated and confused....
Nothing seems to fit Oliver correctly!

So my leather girth I use with my jump saddle easily goes on the 3rd old (non elastic side) and on the elastic side I can get it up also on the 3rd hole... When I tighten my girth durning my ride I can pretty much get both sides up all the way....wtf

So I wanted to get a proper fitting girth, got a Leittia fleece 42" girth thinking it would fit perfectly....nope

Can't even get it on the first hole on both side and both ends are elastic!!
What's wrong with this!?
Gah!

HowClever 11-18-2012 02:24 AM

Is it possible the elastic on the 44" has stretched over time leading it to be a couple of inches bigger? If that's possible maybe try a new 44" that hasn't stretched.

Klassic Superstar 11-18-2012 02:29 AM

The leather girth is only a year old and the elastic on it is still tight, could be that it's already worn out, never had that issue before...hmmm

themacpack 11-18-2012 02:52 AM

While you would think that a 42 would be a 42 would be a 42 - when you are dealing not only with different materiel, but also possibly different brands (??), there can be some differences in how one fits (similar to how an 8 in one brand of jeans or shoes may not fit/feel like an 8 in another - requiring you to buy something one size smaller or larger than usual)

Klassic Superstar 11-18-2012 03:16 AM

Maybe!!
I was thinking it could be from the fleece!?
Or Oliver is just playing tricks on me and super holding his breath!?

I'll tell you what, I looked might ridiculous trying to get that girth just ON the first hole on the other side....pretty sure my horse was both laughing at me and annoyed...thought I was either going to throw my back out trying to get it on or have it slip out of my hands and send me face first to the ground! That would have been something! "how'd you get that bruise?"....."uh I couldn't girth up my horse?" LOL

Shropshirerosie 11-18-2012 09:25 AM

Leather girths stretch - get yourself a measuring tape, then you can choose and purchase something that will fit.

Speed Racer 11-18-2012 10:14 AM

Buy a girth extender. They're not expensive.