The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Weight gain-- when should I start seeing results? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weight-gain-when-should-i-start-143938/)

Jore 11-18-2012 11:58 AM

Weight gain-- when should I start seeing results?

Indie has access to hay while indoors and outdoors (as well as grass while outside), is fed a big scoop and a half of feed (not sure on size but I will find out) and is now getting a scoop of beet pulp. I have yet to see any desirable weight gain. She was just wormed last week.

I'm just wondering how long it will be before I start seeing results. She's been on the beet pulp for two weeks now. Should I be thinking about the possibility of ulcers?
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 11-18-2012 11:00 PM

I could see a difference within 2 weeks when I brought my horse home and started him on rice bran, but he is an easy keeper and just hadn't been fed properly at his old home (poor winter pasture and a little bit of All Stock)

themacpack 11-18-2012 11:03 PM

What is the "feed" he is being given?

OutOfTheLoop 11-18-2012 11:07 PM

I was throwing the beetpulp to my gelding and it took about 3 weeks for me to see a difference. It seems harder for them to gain gain than it is for them to lose.
Posted via Mobile Device

themacpack 11-18-2012 11:09 PM

Knowing the size scoop of beet pulp will help - bp is light when dry (which is how you should weigh it for feeding purposes - post soak you are just weighing water) at only .6-.8 (depending on the source you use) pound per quart, so if you are giving a one quart scoop you aren't even giving a full pound of bp per day.

Elana 11-19-2012 09:28 AM

You really need to WEIGH the feed. A scale is your best friend. A "Scoop and a half" could be anything. I know you board.. but the hay being fed should be tested and I know if the BO won't then you are outta luck there.

If you test the hay you will know what that value is and how much you need of 'other stuff' to balance the ration and how many calories you are feeding.. and how many of those calories are digestible. If nothing else you need to weigh the hay and try to figure out how much your horse consumes.

As I said in another post.. the size of "flakes" of hay are determined by the feed in the windrow (amount going into the baler, stem length and type of grass, legume or mix), the ground speed of the baler and the RPM's the baler is being run at. I baled a LOT of hay.. and I know it varies a LOT because I baled hay to optimize the baler efficiency, not the consistency of "flakes of hay." We both tested and weighed the hay so we knew how much was being fed and how much was needed.

It all boils down to calories and metabolic output. Just like with humans. If you consume more calories than you burn, you gain weight. If you burn more calories than you consume, you lose weight. You need to calculate (as best you can) both halves of that formula.