The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Extreme Trail Challenge (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/extreme-trail-challenge-143944/)

bmm45bm 11-18-2012 12:21 PM

Extreme Trail Challenge

Competed in my first extreme trail challenge or cowboy challenge or ranch horse challenge, whatever is the most commonly used term, yesterday, and I have to say I am hooked. We placed 2nd in our first time out, and I am just eager to find another one to go and compete in. Has anyone else competed in similar events, and where is the best place to find out about these events. I live in the Southeast, GA to be exact, and I won't be satisfied till I find another to look forward to, ha ha.

Thunderspark 11-19-2012 12:31 AM

I've watched the Extreme Cowboy Race online, it does look like alot of fun. I do alot of trail riding and my friends/I ride alot of challenging trails! Good luck and hope you find another one to go into....

Iseul 11-19-2012 01:00 AM

I've been trying to find one to compete with ST in! Until I found her training has gone to the crapper.. ;;
Albeit, I'm only looking for competitive trail currently, she has the potential to clean up an extreme cowboy race. ;p
Posted via Mobile Device

bmm45bm 11-19-2012 09:21 AM

it really was a blast. The warmup round was terrible, really thought I was gonna just have to load him in the trailer and play spectator. Something clicked though w/ he and I on the opening round, and before you know it we are sprinting down the alleyway in the final championship round. I was shocked. Have owned him about 4 months now, previous cutting and sorting horse. Just goes to show, a versatile ranch horse can do just about darn anything if they have the right mind set. Now I did receive a few comments, some complimentary, some not so. The best was someone asking where I trained at and what my fees were. I finally convinced them that I was not a trainer by any means. The worst comment was from a lady in the crowd, hey buddy, are you sure you need to be riding that horse or he needs to be riding you. That one stung a bit. I have gained about 40-50 lbs in the past 6 months due to some medical issues. He is a shorty, 14.2 hand foundation bred quarter horse, approx 1200 lbs, me, 6'2" and around 250 right now, guess I'll use it for motivation.