The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Seller did not disclose all information (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/seller-did-not-disclose-all-information-143972/)

Catalina678 11-18-2012 05:22 PM

Seller did not disclose all information

So I bought a six year old oldenburg mare in 2011 and in the winter of 2012 was acting really weird with her back. We come to find out that she has a torn ligament or broken pelvis (it is really hard to see that area) and that the previous owners were able to give her a long term drug which lasted about when she was showing signs of pain. Now we came across information that disclosed that information and even though it is a year and a half later is there anything we can do? When we bought her we did do a pre purchase exam and asked the woman if she had any lameness issues.

Cowgirls Boots 11-18-2012 05:32 PM

It seems you did everything right by having a PPE done. To me it just seems like a case of 'buyers beware'.

Do you have a contract? Was she sold as is or sold as sound?

Crummy situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 11-18-2012 05:50 PM

A year and a half long term pain reliever? There is no such thing..

If you had a pre-purchase exam done, and the mare has been perfectly sound for 18 months, id say there is something else that has happened in your care.

Remember, these are horses and any trouble that they can get into, they will.
Posted via Mobile Device

Piaffe 11-18-2012 06:07 PM

Similar thing happened to me. When I bought my Selle Francais mare. I bought her as guaranteed sound...it turned out she had an old injury and she still sometimes limps. But...I am still very happy with her and didn't want to send her back or anything. It unfortunately is buyer beware. I also haven't heard of a pain relieving drug that lasts for 1 and a half years. Is that something your vet said? It is probably something that happened after you bought her...

Celeste 11-18-2012 06:49 PM

If there were a drug that would relieve all pain for a year and a half, I would suggest that you give her another dosage. Unfortunately, this is not the case. If she had a previous injury and it is just now bothering her, hopefully it will be something that only bothers her occasionally.

franknbeans 11-18-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catalina678 (Post 1763162)
So I bought a six year old oldenburg mare in 2011 and in the winter of 2012 was acting really weird with her back. We come to find out that she has a torn ligament or broken pelvis (it is really hard to see that area) and that the previous owners were able to give her a long term drug which lasted about when she was showing signs of pain. Now we came across information that disclosed that information and even though it is a year and a half later is there anything we can do? When we bought her we did do a pre purchase exam and asked the woman if she had any lameness issues.

Sorry-have to agree with the others. 18 months is a long time. If there were pain relievers or anti inflammatories that worked that long I want some. :wink:

THis is a horse. SHe could have come home the day after you bought her and injured herself. No way of knowing.

Cacowgirl 11-18-2012 07:04 PM

Isn't the winter equinox around the 22nd of December?

Saddlebag 11-18-2012 07:12 PM

I'm wondering if you're dealing with Kissing Spine, a pinched nerve, similar to lower back pain in people. Sometimes a horse will move a bit stifly, shuffle the hind feet, drag toes, walk straddled, any one of those symptoms. Unfortunately these can be symptoms of other problems as well.

waresbear 11-18-2012 07:21 PM

There is nothing you can do about it and there is no pain killer that lasts a year. Treat the mare & continue to enjoy her, she's yours.

DancingArabian 11-18-2012 07:44 PM

There's a pretty huge difference betwen a torn ligament and a broken pelvis. Did you not get xrays?