The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Controlling Your Diet In College (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/controlling-your-diet-college-14401/)

GeminiJumper 09-06-2008 06:14 PM

Controlling Your Diet In College

Hey everyone!! So I'm really struggling with my diet since starting college. I'm not dieting, I'm talking about what I eat. Since my second round of grocery shopping, I've realized what I actually eat and what I don't. Its a whole lot of bread, sandwich meat, lol, poptarts, and bottled water. I think the only good things is the bottled water!! lol, I go through that like there's no tomorrow!! I guess that's a good thing since I'm working with horses everyday. Sure theses things aren't that bad when also included in a well rounded diet, but I think this is all I eat!! What can I do to improve my diet because I've been noticing a "roll" going on down there whenever I sit. And usually that's not there--I have a pretty flat tummy but I've been noticing the roll....lol. I need food that I can just basically take out of the cupboard or fridge and eat. I don't want to take the time to make something time consuming. But I guess if that's the way of improving my diet, I'll go for it. Any suggestions??

moomoo 09-06-2008 06:22 PM

I have that problem in the holidays/weekends with crisps (or chips, lol) I have been replacing crisps with fruit :P which I guess is healthier ...

Could you buy microwave meals? they only take like 10 mins tops and fill you up so you would eat less junk?

LadyDreamer 09-07-2008 08:34 PM

Are you living on campus? Does the campus offer meals? If they do, I would try to utilize that to some extent. It may help you.

I think it is kind of funny, my diet has IMPROVED since coming to college. I eat more greens, and less of the main course. I don't go back for seconds, I have limited my soda intake(I was a major addict) to one ice filled glass per meal, and I am walking so much more now, so I am getting more exercise. I have to skip school breakfast, so I will admit that I have a special drawer with cerel bars, poptarts, etc, to eat on the way to my morning classes.

I will admit I LOVE my mother's cooking, and she tends to make my favorite stuff on the weekends when I come home. I have to stop myself from gorging on the weekends, but it is so darn good. The school makes some of the same foods, but it is a major step below what my mother makes.

FutureVetGirl 09-08-2008 05:25 AM

If you have to buy your own food... how about just make better choices with what you buy. Get water instead of coke. Get fruit instead of chips. Get whole wheat instead of white. Get spinach salad leaves (they tend to be cheaper and fresher) and tomatos instead of ice-cream.

Do NOT go for "diet" foods. Just get healthy foods. Diet foods are rarely anything but a name brand. Do not go for them. Not only are they false advertising, but they're also just plain expensive for no reason!

Also... what you can do is you can pick up a ton of ingredients, and make several days (to a week's) worth of lunches, breakfasts, and dinners. Do it on a Saturday or Sunday night... sometime when you don't have a lot to do, and you're bored. Just look up healthy food ideas online, and make up your whole meals. Stick them in the fridge or the freezer, and when you're ready to eat, just grab one thing.

You can do the same thing with sweets. Just make up a healthy snack, or even some cookies, and when you head out, just grab ONE. You'll have a sweet snack for later, without going out and buying a ton of stuff that's unhealthy.

You can eat the same way... and the same amount... but the biggest thing comes down to WHAT you eat... now how much you eat.

GeminiJumper 09-09-2008 07:45 PM

Thanks everyone!! Yeah, I do have to go out and buy my own food. I actually haven't had soda in a REALLY long time--I've made the switch to water. Do you think this sudden appearence of a "roll" down there, could be water weight? Or whatever its called. Because I've been drinking a lot of water....idk....but I will keep this stuff in mind when I go grocery shopping tonight with my roomate.

claireauriga 09-09-2008 07:52 PM

Lots of people find it easier to eat healthily when they go off to uni - because of your limited storage space, you only buy what you need, and when you're on your own you don't tend to pick up a bit of this and a bit of that the way your parents might. The cupboards aren't full of nonsense for feeding a whole family so there simply isn't the range of unhealthy stuff available when you get peckish!

DashAwayAll 09-10-2008 12:21 PM

Often the problem is time.

Grab stuff you can do quickly - cheese sandwhich, soup, apples are fantasic- quick, easy, low calorie and filling. Stock up on fruits - oranges, apples, and my fav snack for studying - grapes.

Microwave popcorn goes a long way too. Use your weekend time to 'cook" something for the week. Some chicken - save some meat for "big meal," some for sandwhiches, some for salads. ) Pre paky salad mixes are great too.) Boil 1/2 dozen eggs. Keep that protein thing going!! Yogurt... um ....a boc of pancake batter is like $2. Add water and you have a heavy meal in 10 minutes.

lemme do a list istead...
crackers and cheese
fruits- apples, oranges, grapes etc
yogurts
sandwhich stuff - peanut butter and jelly, meats
boiled eggs
soups,
Mac and cheese
spagatti ( can make up before hand)
popcorn
salad - regular or add meats, or even just salsa for zing!

hotreddun 09-10-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FutureVetGirl
Get spinach salad leaves (they tend to be cheaper and fresher) and tomatos instead of ice-cream.

Blasphemy.