The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Baby's first bath/clipping/mane pulling? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/babys-first-bath-clipping-mane-pulling-144013/)

TaraBearaIsBack 11-18-2012 11:59 PM

Baby's first bath/clipping/mane pulling?

I have a 7 month old QH filly and I've had her for almost a month now and I'm thinking it's time to start training her to at least get used to the clippers and baths. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do to be careful when training her or if there are any tricks of the trade that you might have found! And also if you have any clipping tips in general they would be greatly appreciated!! I'm going to be taking her to some shows starting in January/February and I want her clipping job to be as perfect as possible! (Which I know is a challenge;)
Also, since she is young and I'll take her in Halter/Showmanship/Lunge Line classes will I need to pull her mane too? I was hoping I wouldn't have to because she's going to be a reiner/cutter and I want her mane to be really long of course, but I assume that I'll have to pull it anyways if I'm gonna go to an AQHA show! Any tips there either?
Thanks so much for your time and help!

TaraBearaIsBack 11-19-2012 03:03 PM

anyone? (:

Almond Joy 11-19-2012 03:18 PM

Gradually intro duce her to these things in small increments. For example, for the horse...
-Run the hose and walk her near it
-Run the hose and walk her closer to it
-Run the hose and walk her through it
-Run the hose and stand her near it
-Run the hose and stand her over it
-Then, hold her and introduce the hose to her hooves. Once she no longer stomps/spins/throws fits then take the pressure off and put the hose on the ground. She shouldnt do this too long because you had gone through the earlier steps and she was ok with them.

Do the same, gradual introductions to the clippers and mane pulling (Although I would just band it like a WP horse and not pull it.) Only advance to the next step when she is ok with the earlier step.

TaraBearaIsBack 11-19-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almond Joy (Post 1764448)
Gradually intro duce her to these things in small increments. For example, for the horse...
-Run the hose and walk her near it
-Run the hose and walk her closer to it
-Run the hose and walk her through it
-Run the hose and stand her near it
-Run the hose and stand her over it
-Then, hold her and introduce the hose to her hooves. Once she no longer stomps/spins/throws fits then take the pressure off and put the hose on the ground. She shouldnt do this too long because you had gone through the earlier steps and she was ok with them.

Do the same, gradual introductions to the clippers and mane pulling (Although I would just band it like a WP horse and not pull it.) Only advance to the next step when she is ok with the earlier step.

Okay, thanks! So instead of pulling it I should band it? Like really small size banding? Does that look okay with her longer mane?

Almond Joy 11-19-2012 04:04 PM

Well, is this show really high up there? Are you doing it just for fun and experience or to win? I think a nice running braid would look nice, when the judge asks you why it is not trimmed/what you plan on doing with her, just explain it. Or make up an excuse :p

TaraBearaIsBack 11-19-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almond Joy (Post 1764516)
Well, is this show really high up there? Are you doing it just for fun and experience or to win? I think a nice running braid would look nice, when the judge asks you why it is not trimmed/what you plan on doing with her, just explain it. Or make up an excuse :p

Well in January I'm planning on going to a schooling show or two but I'm planning on going to an AQHA show after a couple nearby practice shows. The running braid might be good for our first couple of shows!

cowgirljumper 11-24-2012 11:00 AM

This is an example of banding but if you have a horse with neck flaws or just simply like long manes you don't have to do this...even for more upper scale shows.
Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WMLJW9X6BqU/TD3tJ82gNKI/AAAAAAAALlI/Klxcjuegm7g/s1600/bands_close.jpg

I see this a lot at some of the big breed shows I go to.
Google Image Result for http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/c114.0.403.403/p403x403/422279_433171080054994_621140044_n.jpg