The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   New round pen!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/new-round-pen-144018/)

Baylen Jaxs 11-19-2012 01:07 AM

New round pen!!

2 Attachment(s)
Finally after saving for a few weeks I had enough to buy some 16 foot panels for a round pen. I know you can't exactly see from the photo of how big it is. But it's pretty decent sized. Its 16 gauge wire and its some sturdy stuff. I plan on spray painting it black to make it more visible and to seem more "sturdier". The panels everyone are 5 foot high and I'm 5,4 so they go right at my lips.

Any tips or advice to make it more "round penny"?

Left Hand Percherons 11-20-2012 10:04 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't try to use that as a RP. A RP needs to be sturdy enough to withstand a horse running into it, not moving when they brush it, a visual barrier, the welds have to be strong.... Hog panels will never keep a horse in that needs to get out. Anchoring it with T posts is another accident waiting to happen. Is the horse going to get impaled on the post when he goes over the panel?

Baylen Jaxs 11-20-2012 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 1765516)
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but don't try to use that as a RP. A RP needs to be sturdy enough to withstand a horse running into it, not moving when they brush it, a visual barrier, the welds have to be strong.... Hog panels will never keep a horse in that needs to get out. Anchoring it with T posts is another accident waiting to happen. Is the horse going to get impaled on the post when he goes over the panel?

Actually these aren't Hog Panels. These are almost 100 dollar a piece 5 foot high security panels. And the horse can't impale itself on the T-Post because there outside the round pen not inside. These panels probably weigh almost 65 pounds each. They are sturdy once set up and wired together. LOL And unless I get some 20hand shire I don't think any horse can just bust through these.

The picture I posted those are hog panels. Those are the ones with the big gaping holes a horse can get its leg through these aren't. Not even a mini hoof could get through these little things.

kay56649 11-20-2012 03:30 PM

There is no way to compare to a roundpen. If you are training and your horse crashes into it, you will have a mess. I have 2 mini donkeys that push on the hog panels and can make it bend. If a full sized horse did that, you would have a loose horse!

Elana 11-20-2012 03:33 PM

Honestly, I would think about covering that wire mesh with something solid.. or something that LOOKS solid. It will work out better for you and for the horse(s).

smrobs 11-20-2012 03:34 PM

LHP is right. Wire panels that have been welded at the joints like that (and like hog panels and bull panels too) are not safe to use in a roundpen where you will be working horses. It's not just because they are not sturdy enough either.

I can tell you from personal experience that if a horse happens to crash into one of those panels, the welds will pop and then you'll have nothing more than a mess of thick wires pointing out in every direction just waiting to hook onto tack, skin, and/or impale a horse. My Dobe has a very large scar on his belly from where he got impaled after trying to jump through and crashing down on the top of a fence made of panels just like that.

As for the t-posts and a horse getting impaled on them, yep, it can happen. If a horse tries to jump out, that wire isn't strong enough to not bend...and it will bend down over the top of the t-post, or it will come apart at the welds. Either way, exposing the top of the t-posts.

A pen like that would work fine for housing a calm/gentle horse, but I wouldn't work a young horse in there.