The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Pictures (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/)
-   -   Picture Update of the Old Man (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-pictures/picture-update-old-man-144059/)

Horsesdontlie 11-19-2012 01:30 PM

Picture Update of the Old Man

8 Attachment(s)
I'm going through a weird phase right now, Jake is leaving in less than a month to a full retired life up at my fathers property. I will rarely see him after that as with school and work my father drives down to visit me more than I visit him. (The drive is 10 hours) So I'm very sad that I will rarely get to see Jake but am happy that he will finally be out to pasture again. So I have been taking more pictures than is even normal and thought I would share a few. I actually found some flat trails to do some minimal riding on, he is really enjoying that.

Here is my 24 year old paint mutt. =)

Horsesdontlie 11-19-2012 01:36 PM

Nevermind, this post didn't work.

AngieLee 11-20-2012 12:23 AM

Awee, I love jake :) I'm sorry that you wont get to see him that much, But I am happy he gets to spend his retirement getting fat and enjoying being lazy. hey look at it as a great excuse to go visit your dad more :P... maybe get someone to drive one way LOL

GracielaGata 11-20-2012 01:16 AM

I like to look at pics of everyone's horses... Just wanted to say that Jake has the neatest markings! I have never seen a horse with a stripe like that on their leg... and the ones on his neck too. Pretty cool! Oh, and happy retirement Jake! ;)

Cowboy Ringo 11-20-2012 02:41 AM

Great looking horse that has clearly been taking care of.

The old man statement is what caught my attention.
I had a horse, actually named old man. He was 29 years old when he died 4 years ago. Best horse i ever owned. You could sit an infant on him and hed make sure it wouldnt fall off. I won many shows on that horse. Just a great TWH that loved to be rode. His last winter finally done him in and he just couldnt take it. The summer before he was still healthy as could be.

Great pics and good job on taking care of this guy.

Barrelracer00 11-20-2012 11:22 AM

ADORABLE!
I had a pony named Shotzy. He lived to be 39. He was an AMAZING lesson horse. If a kid was being to hard on his mouth, kicking to hard, he would stop. And just sit there until the kid did it right. And, say the lesson was an hour. You would say "One hour lesson, Shotzy" and he would completely STOP after one hour RIGHT ON THE DOT! Best horse I could ever ask for. If a kid now taking a lesson is hard on the horses mouth or does something wrong, I think "If only Shotzy was here." I miss that guy. He was SUCH a healthy boy till he ruptured and colicked on the day he died. <3
Hopefully yours lives as long as Shotzy, or longer!

Horsesdontlie 11-20-2012 11:17 PM

Thanks everyone! I am very lucky that he is aging very healthy (minus ringbone, but its manageable) He is very agile still, has a lot of mobility and is keeping his muscle and weight like a champ. Most would guess that he is still 15-18 in person. He has slowed down a lot in the last year but I associate that with being ouchy from the ringbone.

My Dad keeps joking that he'll get to see me more when Jake goes back up. ;) I wish that was the case but considering that I work almost full time and go to school full time its not going to be much.

He is still the ONLY horse I have seen with a back leg band. It sure makes him one in a crowd.

I love hearing about the oldies and the ones that live into the higher ages. I hope Jake will live on for many more years and continue to be very healthy. He is still an advanced only ride, or with my direct supervision as he still is a spitfire of a ride. I have just had to retire him mainly because he won't take it easy on himself. I may continue to post a few pictures before he goes, and I may just add some of those from his prime too.

Horsesdontlie 11-20-2012 11:28 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Okay here are tons more photos from over the years. We did both english and western (barrels and tried to go for jumpers) Lol. He had so much heart in everything that he did, and he was such a hard horse to work with. Talk about personality...He has really changed my life.

(PS : The picture that looks like he's bucking is actually him landing from a very small jump (hurry scurry) it was about a foot tall.)

Horsesdontlie 12-07-2012 07:32 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Had a last photoshoot with Jake today before he leaves. Caught a lot of good pictures thanks to a good friend. Thought I would share all the good ones. I'm sure gonna miss him. I'll break the pics into a few posts.

Horsesdontlie 12-07-2012 07:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And more...