The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   7 month old Filly..Need I Say More? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/7-month-old-filly-need-i-144069/)

TaraBearaIsBack 11-19-2012 03:11 PM

7 month old Filly..Need I Say More?
 
Well I got a bay QH filly a month ago, and of course she'll come with and get some scratches as she is a baby; I have a couple of questions though. She tried to jump out of the trailer and she scratched her forehead twice pretty bad, and I thought it should have been healed by now, but it is just now finally beginning to look better. She also somehow cut her leg a little (it never bled) but it lift a little bump though and I find it strange because it isn't squishy or super hard but kinda in the middle. Is there anything I should do to help that?

She also has a strange thing going on: The people I got her from said she was fine but had some discharge from her nose so they poked a little hole in her neck so it would drain out, but it's still draining after a month! Nothing else is wrong with her, she's healthy fat and happy but I just don't understand really what it might be. Anyone have any ideas of what I could do to speed up the process? I wipe it every day and keep it as clean as I can.

Drifting 11-19-2012 03:19 PM

They poked a hole in her neck for a runny nose?

Has she been dewormed lately? A runny nose can be caused by a wormy belly ( I forgot what type of worms, but a vet told me to power pack my weanling, using half the tube instead of a whole tube and it cleared the runny nose.)

poppy1356 11-19-2012 03:21 PM

What did your vet say about the hole in the neck during the PPE?

That seems awefully strange......

TaraBearaIsBack 11-19-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drifting (Post 1764451)
They poked a hole in her neck for a runny nose?

Has she been dewormed lately? A runny nose can be caused by a wormy belly ( I forgot what type of worms, but a vet told me to power pack my weanling, using half the tube instead of a whole tube and it cleared the runny nose.)

Yeah I don't know! haha that's what it sounded like they did but it shouldn't be from worms because they were supposed to have wormed her the week before I got her! Another filly they had was extremely sick and her head was swelled and she had snot everywhere, but that was just a genetic disease - her full sister had the same thing. So my filly didn't have that either, just a runny nose at that point!

poppy1356 11-19-2012 03:25 PM

Ummmm that does not sound like a genetic disease but rather a disease that is contagious....

TaraBearaIsBack 11-19-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1764452)
What did your vet say about the hole in the neck during the PPE?

That seems awefully strange......

I didn't do a PPE because I won her through a program at AQHA. She passed the brand inspection to cross the state lines so I assumed there couldn't be too much wrong! I will be having my vet out to see her soon if this doesn't stop quickly.

poppy1356 11-19-2012 03:30 PM

I'm not sure what the requirements are to pass that but I would say have your vet out sooner than later.

TaraBearaIsBack 11-19-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1764460)
Ummmm that does not sound like a genetic disease but rather a disease that is contagious....

My filly hasn't shown any signs of that disease besides a runny nose and they had the sick foal with the others and none of them got sick. One of them out there had an open wound from running through a fence and didn't catch anything. (I added that because I would think that an open wound would be more susceptible for catching a disease?)

aldebono 11-19-2012 03:39 PM

I wouldn't think an opened wound would be more susceptible to catching something. Viruses and other nasties can be transferred through the air, by touching noses, and drinking/ eating from contaminated buckets. Just like human illnesses.

Please for the sake of your other horses. Get the vet out to find out what is really wrong with this horse.

The only thing they check at the inspection stations here in Florida crossing county lines is a Coggins.

TaraBearaIsBack 11-19-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldebono (Post 1764477)
I wouldn't think an opened wound would be more susceptible to catching something. Viruses and other nasties can be transferred through the air, by touching noses, and drinking/ eating from contaminated buckets. Just like human illnesses.

Please for the sake of your other horses. Get the vet out to find out what is really wrong with this horse.

The only thing they check at the inspection stations here in Florida crossing county lines is a Coggins.

She did have a coggins test and didn't have it.

She is completely separate from my other horses all ready so that she wouldn't give them anything from where she was anyways.

I will be having my vet out within the next two weeks depending on his schedule.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0