The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   feeding your horse beer!` (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feeding-your-horse-beer-%60-144096/)

Crescent 11-19-2012 08:44 PM

feeding your horse beer!`

what is your opinion on feeding beer to a horse? are there any downsides to feeding it sometimes as a treat? Any upsides? Thanks!

Puddintat 11-19-2012 08:49 PM

I don't think giving any animal alcohol is appropriate.

SorrelHorse 11-19-2012 09:01 PM

Jester LOVES anything alcoholic. He would literally knock the beer out of my Dad's hand if he stood clos enough. He would suck it down too if you let him. Of course we never let him, but occasionally would let him lick a little bit out of our hands. (Pour it into our hands and he would lick our hands). I haven't noticed it effecting him at all, but I wouldn't give any more than that handful, Especially when treats are less expensive than beer. :lol:

SouthernTrails 11-19-2012 09:04 PM

Contributing to the Delinquency of a Horse may be illegal in some States :lol::lol:

PaintHorseMares 11-19-2012 09:05 PM

Downside is less beer for me.

Crescent 11-19-2012 09:10 PM

haha thanks! iv heard it increases hunger and since we rescued a SEVERLY underweight 25 year old horse who after 6 months of INTENSE feeding (3 qts beetpulp, 3 quarts senior feed, 2 cups high energy fat supplements (its called HESS) and a couple of other supplements) he still hasn't gained a pound and I am a bit worried because we are supposed to get 50-80 inches of snow this year.

PaintHorseMares 11-19-2012 09:14 PM

Seriously, though, remember that alcohol is diuretic, causing you to pee more than you take in and can cause dehydration as well as generally not being good for the kidneys and liver.

Phly 11-19-2012 09:24 PM

My colt loves beer! The most he's ever gotten is to lick it off my hand. But he'll follow the can around like a carrot lol. My worry would be the carbonation. Could be bad news. But on the other hand its does have calories. If I would have the notion to try it, I'd make sure it was flat and warm.
Posted via Mobile Device

SueNH 11-19-2012 09:31 PM

I had a goat and a donkey who both would drink an unattended beer right from the bottle. Pick it up, lift their head and history!

Had a doe goat who liked wine but I never let her have much because it kinda made her milk taste funny. I would be reading a book out on the lawn and she would come down and sneak my wine sitting there. Wasn't until I heard the lip smacking would I realize old Rosebud had wandered over for a visit.

As far as giving it to them intentionally...no! mine!

farmpony84 11-19-2012 09:32 PM

Just this summer my vet told me to keep dark beer handy during the heat wave. The beer helps the horses to sweat and sweat cools them down...