The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Anyone added a ramp to a stock trailer? Warning! Graphic photos! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/anyone-added-ramp-stock-trailer-warning-144106/)

Phly 11-19-2012 10:46 PM

Anyone added a ramp to a stock trailer? Warning! Graphic photos!

Got a "96" corn pro stock trailer. Which by the way works really good for us. This off season I'm going to corner off the nose for a tack area. I'd also like to add a ramp. It has a rear 2" hitch receiver, my first thought is just build a ramp that slips in the hitch. That way im not modifying the door etc. any thoughts, amazingly simple solutuions, bad ideas, etc... My main reason for wanting a ramp is the floor is fairly high. They almost jump in.
Posted via Mobile Device

mudpie 11-20-2012 12:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Be very, very careful. This was a brand new, custom made trailer. No one knew that this could happen, or that the gap was even remotely wide enough, but they were loading up after a show, and his hoof just slipped through.

The pictures were taken for insurance and the law suit which ensued... Arcadian was put down.

Phly 11-20-2012 01:00 AM

That's a huge gap! I'd be happy with nothing under a half inch! Holy smoke! On a lighter note, i seen a horse clean a ramp off a 7 horse aluminum trailer once. Big money trailers don't mean safety or easy loading.
Posted via Mobile Device

Spotted 11-20-2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpie (Post 1765207)
Be very, very careful. This was a brand new, custom made trailer. No one knew that this could happen, or that the gap was even remotely wide enough, but they were loading up after a show, and his hoof just slipped through.

The pictures were taken for insurance and the law suit which ensued... Arcadian was put down.

OMG! very, very sad :(

Muppetgirl 11-20-2012 01:17 AM

Wow......that looks very very painful! So sad.....

Spotted 11-20-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 1765053)
Got a "96" corn pro stock trailer. Which by the way works really good for us. This off season I'm going to corner off the nose for a tack area. I'd also like to add a ramp. It has a rear 2" hitch receiver, my first thought is just build a ramp that slips in the hitch. That way im not modifying the door etc. any thoughts, amazingly simple solutuions, bad ideas, etc... My main reason for wanting a ramp is the floor is fairly high. They almost jump in.
Posted via Mobile Device

We were thinking the same thing. Hopefully someone has an idea.

tinyliny 11-20-2012 01:24 AM

that is so horrible. I added the warning for graphic photos, because some cannot stand to see such blood and pain.
Poor, poor baby.

Chevaux 11-20-2012 01:25 AM

Ohh - those pictures were horrible; I actually feel sick.

I did have a ramp welded onto my old horse trailer. It was a wood with metal trim one, somewhat bigger than factory installed ramps because it had to fit over the bumper and thus the slope (or whatever the correct term for it is) was longer. I got the ramp after the fact from the trailer company and took it to a professional welder. He welded the ramp right to the bumper (it was a substantial steel one) and fortunately there were no gaps. Eventually I took it off (a number of years later) as the wood was starting to rot away and it was getting just too heavy to lift (bad back).

Phly 11-20-2012 01:27 AM

Well "spotted" I gotta plan. Lol. I'll show ya pics of ours when I build It. I like hearing others opinions too though. Easier for 20 ideas mixed to one awesome one then 3 bad ideas.
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 11-20-2012 01:57 AM

That is just awful....I don't know what I'd do if that happened to one of my horses...