The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Should a boarding barn provide run-ins for the horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/should-boarding-barn-provide-run-ins-144107/)

ChristineNJ 11-19-2012 10:12 PM

Should a boarding barn provide run-ins for the horses?

During Hurricaine Sandy the tops blew off all the run-ins that had the plastic covers and other pastures have no run-ins for the horses at all. Shouldn't the Barn Owner be responsible for having run-ins for the horses??? She expects the boarders to buy them. ??? Is that normal???....They are expensive!!!:evil:

themacpack 11-19-2012 10:18 PM

One would think a responsible barn owner would have insurance that would be repairing/replacing damaged items on the farm.

DancingArabian 11-19-2012 10:21 PM

What themacpack said.
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 11-20-2012 12:54 AM

You pay her to provide that service for you.

Spotted 11-20-2012 01:03 AM

some will offer shelters some will not. I wouldn't be buying one for the barn owner thats for sure.. It should state in your agreement what the horse will have access to ie. barn, shelter, arena, pasture ect.
And yes if they have damages from a storm the insurance money should be replacing it.

Speed Racer 11-20-2012 06:41 AM

What does your boarding agreement state in regard to shelter?

ChristineNJ 11-25-2012 12:22 AM

Thanks for all your answers....the board agreement dosen't mention run-ins......if I move barns I will make sure next time that a run-in will be included...probably going to move barns soon!!

GhostwindAppaloosa 11-25-2012 12:50 PM

like other said depends on contract. she might not have it in there she provides shelter which is not uncommon or unheard of.

Joe4d 11-25-2012 07:18 PM

depends on what it looked like when you first started there. If agree to board in "That" field for "X" fee. then "That" field needs to pretty much stay the way it was. If it changes then you can change the fee you are paying. Sorta like if I rent you a house, I dont list every item in the house. I'll walk you through and say "This house is for rent". After you are paying rent, I cant come take out the toilets, claiming, "Well the lease didnt mention toilets." .

EagleValley 11-25-2012 10:37 PM

As a barn owner myself I make sure that any horses that stay outside over night ALWAYS have a run in shed.

It is the responsibility of the farm to replace damaged equipment/structures.