The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   What is the possibility? (HYPP/HERDA) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/what-possibility-hypp-herda-144112/)

FalineDear 11-19-2012 10:58 PM

What is the possibility? (HYPP/HERDA)

I have a 9 year old gelding who is N/H
Does anybody know what the probability is for an attack?
He hasn't had an attack that I know of since the time that I bought him, in March. He's 7 times bred to Impressive, 4 times to Conclusive, 2 times to Kid Clu (N/H), once to Zip To Impress, and even goes back to Poco Bueno.
His registration papers say nothing on HERDA, so how do I get him tested, or would it have shown up by now? I'm panicking a little bit here! :cry:

Spotted 11-19-2012 11:06 PM

Check out animal genetics I believe a whole spectrum done on genetic diseases is $95 and each is $30.00
I would be asumming it would be a 50% chance to pass to off spring if he were a mare or stallion, so I would also assume a 50% chance he could have an attack.. Don't quote me but I think thats how it works.

NdAppy 11-19-2012 11:09 PM

He could go the rest of his life with out an attack or he could have one tomorrow. There is no magic "thing" out there that you can do to keep an attack from happening. Your best bet is to do your research and prepare for one.

CCH 11-19-2012 11:19 PM

HERDA testing is not necessary for two reasons. First, It has been shown to only affect those who are homozygous for it. You would not be able to ride him without causing skin injury, so it would be pretty obvious if he had it. Second he is a gelding, and even if he was a HERDA carrier, he cannot reproduce.
Posted via Mobile Device

MangoRoX87 11-20-2012 01:23 PM

Somebody apparently liked Impressive O.o

I have a friend who's horse is N/H. She has small attacks, just the muscles on one of her hips twitches hard for like 30 seconds straight, like she is trying to get rid of a big horsefly.

verona1016 11-20-2012 02:04 PM

Since you know he's HYPP N/H you should definitely keep an eye on his diet (potassium in particular).

Quote:

Dietary management is extremely important in the management of affected horses. Dietary adjustments include (1) avoiding high potassium feeds such as alfalfa hay, brome hay, canola oil, soybean meal or oil, and sugar molasses and beet molasses, and replacing them with timothy or Bermuda grass hay, grains such as oats, corn, wheat and barley, and beet pulp; (2) feeding several times a day; and (3) exercising regularly and/or being allowed frequent access to a large paddock or yard. Due to the high water content of pasture grass, a horse is unlikely to consume large amounts of potassium in a short period of time if kept on pasture. If the horse is experiencing problems on its present diet, it is recommended to feed a diet containing between 0.6% and 1.5% total potassium concentrations.
Read more...