The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Barn Maintenance (/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Wood chewer (

SMMJessee 11-20-2012 02:02 AM

Wood chewer
ahhhhh im going crazy!!! Okay we have an old mule ( he is my absalute baby) and he is having a tough time this winter, he is one pain medacation that the vet prescribed but he still chews the wood badly.

He is very bored which is probely part of it but he wont play with anything i give him!!

If he keeps chewing my mom will kick his butt out of the arena!!! She loves him to but if he keeps chewing the BEAMS that he is chewing our whole barn will fall down!!!!!!

I have been spraying no chew on there 5 TIMES A DAY!! and i was tottaly sick of it so i went and found this really toxic wood preserver and it is green coloured and it stinks and is VERY toxic. I pretty much painted the whole barn and i thought well thats gotta be one very bored mule if he still eats this stuff or he doesnt have a sense of smell because this crap stinks!!

HE CHEWED AGAIN gahhhhhhh im mad, I love him to deatha dn i dont want to boot him outside because he will slip and break somthing and im posative of it!! I am pretty sure it is of boredom and a little pain!! I am going to get him a lick it but i dont know what to do witht he walls, Our whole barn is made of wood and I dont want it ti fall and DEFADENTLY NOT ON HIM.

Oh neddie look at what youve done, I am scared to see him in the morning....


AQHA13 11-20-2012 02:41 AM

I've taken bars of soap and heavily coated all the available wooden areas of our shelter. Its stopped our horses 100% from chewing. :) good luck

Saddlebag 11-20-2012 09:36 AM

If you have poplar trees growing in your area, cut a few 3 or 4" diameter ones. My horses chew one like beaver. He may be looking for fiber and needs more hay.

DancingArabian 11-20-2012 09:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Firstly the toxic chems need to be removed. Why would you think something toxic is okay just because its smelly? Horses don't think "oh that smells bad it must be poison!". Horses are more likely to think "hey that smells funny, I wonder what it tastes like". Smells to us are not the same to animals.

"Paint" the areas with bars of soap or liquid soap. THAT will taste awful and is non toxic.
Posted via Mobile Device

SMMJessee 11-20-2012 11:05 AM

DancingArabian it was not me who thought of it, and he is a MULE not ha horse, mules are much more intelagent then horses

I will try the soap

all me have is popular trees so ill chop one of those up

Can then chewing a popular tree cause splinter????

DancingArabian 11-20-2012 11:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The toxic stuff still has to go. Mules are not so smart that they think like people and avoid something that might be toxic because it smells bad. They're simply not. If he was he wouldn't have continued chewing after the stuff was applied.
Posted via Mobile Device

SMMJessee 11-20-2012 11:34 AM

DancingArabian it will wear off because its stuck on there now LOL but i will try the soap stuff

Darrin 11-24-2012 11:47 AM

Products like stop chew seem to be nothing more than candy for horses. Haven't had it stop my horses or anyone elses that I know, rather it encourages them to chew more.

The best non-toxic thing I've seen work is wrapping the wood with metal sheeting. This can be anything from old tin off a roof or metal corner pieces used in dry wall. Just have to mount it in a way they can't cut themselves on sharp edges.

Best toxic method I've seen is painting wood with used motor oil. They give it one go then give up. Haven't tried the soap idea but sounds like a good idea for my next chewer.

DancingArabian 11-24-2012 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The metal doesn't work for all - and it can damage teeth. It's not pretty.

Toxic things should never be used around animals. The dish soap is not harmful and tastes terrible. Why opt for a poison that an animal doesn't understand when there are other things?
Posted via Mobile Device

Darrin 11-24-2012 01:13 PM

Sorry but I've seen metal work for several people and the horses don't damage their teeth because they give it a couple tries and stop. Same goes for used motor oil. They give it a try and stop but I do agree it's not the best solution, if a horse does get a hankoring for oil it wouldn't go well long term.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome