The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   western trainers sure are mean around here (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/western-trainers-sure-mean-around-here-14413/)

jazzyrider 09-07-2008 06:06 AM

western trainers sure are mean around here

well i started my search for a reining trainer today and my goodness, some people really do have a problem with horses other than quarter horses being western horses. the first guy i rang laughed at me and hung up :shock: the second guy i rang said it was impossible to teach reining to a wb :roll: the third guy told me to buy a quarter horse and then call him :x the next guy "suggested" i do some reading on the breed of horse i have and then see if i want to do western :evil:

i was so totally frustrated at this point and very close to giving up. i decided to email a few people so i didnt have to listen to the laughter and be humiliated again :(

so anyway i emailed this place a few hours away. i was pretty blunt and just said 'i have a warmblood. i want to do reining on him. will you train him or are you going to laugh at me as well?' lol i was looking at getting a qh from them when we got cougar and i liked what i saw then. well he replied very quickly and told me he really couldnt call himself a trainer if he couldnt teach his discipline to any horse and that he would love to work with jarred. he said he will feel like a fancy reiner riding jarred lol

it was so good to finally get a positive response from someone. hes not the cheapest but hes good and he is more than happy to do it so ive decided to go with him. hes not heading off to him for a couple of months though as he has as many horses as he can take in a training capacity at the moment so ive had to book him in. thats a good sign i suppose :)

farmpony84 09-07-2008 09:58 AM

LMAO! When I first decided I was going to switch from english to western I received pretty much the same responses...And I HAVE a QH! LOL... Welcome to my world!

Gingerrrrr 09-07-2008 12:24 PM

wow.....there rude! good luck with the trainer you booked jarred to see. hope it goes well :D

jazzyrider 09-07-2008 06:55 PM

farmpony - wow! i probably would have been no better off with a qh then lol

ginger - yes! very rude. i think they were more scared of their reputation being in tatters if they couldnt do it lol the trainer i found has previously trained tb's, stock horses and a couple of non descripts how to rein and hes more than confident he can do the same with jarred.

this is where he is going to go. looking around his site gives me the feeling that this definitely is where my boy needs to go :)
http://www.freewebs.com/rockinjperfo...rses/index.htm

Angel_Leaguer 09-11-2008 12:49 PM

Im glad you found a good person...im guessing that the other trainers wanted a QH so that they can show them at AQHA shows and get their name out and charge you more $$$$....I would give them the time of day either.

I think this guy seems very nice and is a real person so to speak. He is doing a clinic that all of the money raised wil go to a show that is raising money for breast cancer. that is really awsome in itself. I know some trainers that it is all about the money. I hope that everything works out!!!

appylover31803 09-11-2008 03:40 PM

Jazzy, I'm so glad you found someone to work with!
I also like that he said " he really couldnt call himself a trainer if he couldnt teach his discipline to any horse"
I think that is so true!

Let us know how it goes!

5087 09-11-2008 09:05 PM

Well that sure was blunt. Can't believe how people are ignorant sometimes. Hell, you can do barrel racing with a percheron!

I'm glad you didn't give up on trying western because of those goons. Keep in touch, please? I'd like to know your thoughts on western once you've tried it.

I wish you luck and a lot of fun on this new journey!

Vidaloco 09-11-2008 09:30 PM

Glad you found someone with an open mind. I have a friend who does cowboy mounted shooting on a Peruvian Paso. She gets grief all the time too. She dresses up as a native american too instead of the cowboy gear they are suppose to wear. I believe you should do what you want, how you want and where you want as long as your horse is healthy and willing.

jazzyrider 09-12-2008 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel_Leaguer
Im glad you found a good person...im guessing that the other trainers wanted a qh so that they can show them at aqha shows and get their name out and charge you more $$$$....I would give them the time of day either.

I think this guy seems very nice and is a real person so to speak. He is doing a clinic that all of the money raised wil go to a show that is raising money for breast cancer. that is really awsome in itself. I know some trainers that it is all about the money. I hope that everything works out!!!

very true :) that also appealed to me when i went through the site.

appy - it is so very true. training a certain discipline shouldnt be about training a breed of horse it should just be about training the horse itself

EET - im sure ill let everyone on here now just how it all goes :) its all very exciting

Vida - exactly! ive never been the kind of person to not do something because its not the 'in thing'. i strive to be as different as possible as often as possible :)

farmpony84 09-12-2008 08:44 PM

At state fair last year there was a girl on a really cute buckskin Morgan cross. She could only ride in open classes because it was an AQHA show, but there was a class (an open class) where the riders competed in 5 events. English under saddle, over fences, western pleasure, barrels, and reigning. The one that had the highest points at the end one like $500. Anyway, all the other horses in this event were QH's. This girl did OK in the english classes and so-so in barrels and then she absolutely kicked butt in the western pleasure and hands down won the reigning class... and she was on a morgan, PONY at that!