The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Thoroughbred Trakehner (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/thoroughbred-trakehner-144144/)

EllyMaysLady 11-20-2012 01:51 PM

Thoroughbred Trakehner

Hey! I have a TB Trakehner cross. I have never really looked into the Trakehner breed before because i guess she just acts so much like a TB i kind of forget shes crosssed :) I was once told Trakehners were a lot similar to TBs. Any info you have on the breed or both breeds crossed is much appreciated!

Fulford15 11-20-2012 02:49 PM

A friend of mine has a Trakehner, he is a complete sweetheart! He is very athletic and willing, excells in 4'0 Jumpers and Level 2&3 Dressage.

Joie 11-20-2012 05:45 PM

That is a very complicated question. The reason I hesitate to answer in any part is because I hate when people generalize a breed based on one horse, or a couple of horses.

But as far as thoroughbreds having had a strong influence in the Trakehner breed, that is true. If you want to do some in-depth research, here is a good place to start:

THE TRAKEHNER BREED AND THE THOROUGHBRED

I breed Trakehners and Anglo-Trakehners, and would be happy to try and answer specific questions, but I d not want to do anyone a disservice by generalizing!

jaydee 11-20-2012 06:28 PM

We bred a trakhener to a TB mare and a welsh/arab x TB mare and they were the smartest horses we ever bred - especially the TB x (mare) who had more body than a typical TB. One sold for dressage and the other for eventing but we lost touch with them. I'll try to look out some old pics. I really didnt want to sell the mare and priced her really high but she went eventually - thats what they were bred for but some you get attached too more than others!!!

EllyMaysLady 11-20-2012 10:38 PM

I dont mean to generalize, to be honest i couldnt care less what breed my horse is. Just trying to find out more about things such as any health issues that may be more common to the breed etc. but wanted to leave it open to any info and experience y'all had. I always want to know more about my family history and love learning about hers too :) Thanks!