The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Trimming (Time and Pricing) (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/trimming-time-pricing-144186/)

Runninghot88 11-20-2012 08:50 PM

Trimming (Time and Pricing)

Just being curious but how often do you have your horses feet trimmed? What does it run you for a trim?
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 11-20-2012 08:53 PM

I do our mares myself when needed (3-7 weeks depending on time of year and wear), but trims are $30 in this area.

Phly 11-20-2012 08:56 PM

When they need it. I know it's vague. But where and how often we ride makes a big difference. Non of ours are shod (anymore, one had fronts when he was roping). I'd say 2 or 3 times a year. $25 a horse. I do keep up on chips and such myself though. And our farrier is showing me the basics. I have trimmed our pony once but he watched. Safer that way!
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 11-20-2012 09:02 PM

When theres a 1/4" of hoof wall around the perimeter of the sole it's time to call. More than that begins to cause stress, especially in the toe area.

usandpets 11-20-2012 09:10 PM

Ours are done about every 8 weeks and it cost $35 per horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 11-20-2012 10:33 PM

I charge $45 for a trim & that's about average around here. Time taken - I like to educate my clients & take detailed notes & pics on first visits, so I may be there for up to an hour, but for straight maintenance trims(excluding seedy, etc), generally takes me about 10-15 mins for a trim.

Ideally horses should be trimmed frequently enough to *keep* them in good shape rather than allowing them to overgrow before 'correcting'. If the farrier/trimmer needs the nippers, the horse is 'overdue'. Generally I find for most horses that's about 2-4 weeks, but 4-8 weeks, depending on the horse, the environment/work, the time of year etc tends to be frequent enough for them not to get too overgrown & most of my clients are on 4-6 weekly trims. I generally give my own a quick once over every fortnight.

equiniphile 11-20-2012 10:38 PM

My barefoot horses are trimmed for $35 each every seven to eight weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

PercheronMom 11-21-2012 11:01 AM

My draft is trimmed every 6 weeks and it costs me $70.00 per trim. This is average here for a draft trim, IF you can find someone that will do a draft and do them well. I love my farrier and he comes from 2 states away!

DancingArabian 11-21-2012 11:16 AM

My horse is done every 8 weeks. $35 for three hooves. She walks me through doing the fourth one, LOL. Takes her maybe 15 minutes for the tree hooves, if that long and around 20 for the last one since I'm always afraid I'll break my horse.
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 11-21-2012 11:19 AM

Trims range between $35 - $60 per horse in my area.

I pay The Backyard Brothers $50 per horse because:

1. I cannot stay bent over to trim anymore. It's getting to be dangerous pain where the legs meet the hips:-(

2. They do exactly as I ask because they are already full aware of what the two previous well credentialed trimmer and farrier did to one of my horses.

They are young enough to be my grandsons and thankfully had a proper Southern "raisin'.

If they don't do precisely what I ask, they know the hair on the back of their necks will be the first thing in serious jeopardy. Then because shooting people really isn't my M.O., I'll take aim at their truck and trailer tires:shock::lol::shock:

Oopsie, forgot to add, they get trimmed every four weeks because the horse in my avatar grows enough hoof in that time to donate to a needy TB. Another one is foundered so needs constant attention, a third one has a mild club hoof so he needs constant attention. The fourth is an Arab with "Arab tough" hooves that I wish all the Walkers had. His hooves are just along for "the filing ride" at 4 weeks - lol

If there is an issue in-between trims, I am still able to do some fixing, myself.