The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Re-training a horse for EQ/Hunters (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/re-training-horse-eq-hunters-144188/)

equinegirl26 11-20-2012 09:00 PM

Re-training a horse for EQ/Hunters

Hi!
I have a Arab/Saddlebred mare that I want to turn into a Hunter and EQ horse along with Jumpers. We have been doing lessons and she has been on her hindquarters and collected! YAY!
Anyways, her pace is getting slower the more I work with her, but our main problem is that when we are approaching a jump (even 18") she throws her head up and launches full speed to the jump, so I have to do a ton of circles before and even then she rushes them, mildly. What does a good EQ horse need to have?

Thankss(:

countercanter 11-21-2012 12:49 AM

A good Eq horse needs to be athletic and adjustable. They also need to be responsive to even the slightest aids. Equitation courses involve a lot of technical riding and you need a partner that can handle it. I suggest you youtube some Maclay/Pessoa/USET trips and watch how their horses perform and strive to be like that.

upnover 11-21-2012 03:33 PM

That's great advice countercanter! Agreed. Generally saddlebred and Arabs aren't what hunter judges are looking for... I'm not seeing the combo being too much better... But you know at a lower level at local shows a lot of untraditional horses can be ok. Eq classes are judged on how well the rider navigates a course or rides on the flat but you want your eq horse to go a certain way as well. Starting off I'd just get your horse to go as smoothly a possible. Put a lead change on there and start working on obedience and adjustability. It's hard to say what's going on without a video but I'm going to guess that a lot lot lot of flatwork (aka dressage) will be your best plan.
Posted via Mobile Device

MustangHeart 11-26-2012 12:28 AM

Your horse inverts (throws her head up) and has the let's-get-this-over-with attitude (rushes). Do not jump her until she quietly canters over a pole on the ground. Use trotting poles and tiny cavaletti to teach her the concept of roundness when she leaves the ground - make it boring. Also you didn't mention the tack you are using; sounds like she may be overbitted and worried about freedom in the air. Also, can you canter in a rhythm consistently? Can you get off her back in 2 point and still stay in control? She has to be more adjustable at the canter by lengthening and shortening her stride. These little tips that I am giving you are just the tip of the iceberg. Equitation horses and jumpers that win are VERY well schooled on the flat.

equinegirl26 12-02-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangHeart (Post 1772659)
Your horse inverts (throws her head up) and has the let's-get-this-over-with attitude (rushes). Do not jump her until she quietly canters over a pole on the ground. Use trotting poles and tiny cavaletti to teach her the concept of roundness when she leaves the ground - make it boring. Also you didn't mention the tack you are using; sounds like she may be overbitted and worried about freedom in the air. Also, can you canter in a rhythm consistently? Can you get off her back in 2 point and still stay in control? She has to be more adjustable at the canter by lengthening and shortening her stride. These little tips that I am giving you are just the tip of the iceberg. Equitation horses and jumpers that win are VERY well schooled on the flat.

Yep.
She's definately not over bitted, I ride her in a french link eggbutt. We can cant consistently once she's warmed up, but not when she's warming up. Yes, I can 2 point and stay in control.

Thankss(:

equinegirl26 12-05-2012 07:50 PM

I have just been working on basic dressage and so far, so good(: