The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I could use a change of luck. *GRAPHIC* Update: sadly , horse was PTS. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-could-use-change-luck-%2Agraphic%2A-144201/)

HowClever 11-20-2012 10:08 PM

I could use a change of luck. *GRAPHIC* Update: sadly , horse was PTS.

Yesterday afternoon, Rex obviously decided that being separated from his "girlfriend" (a mare who is boarded here) by a fence was over-rated. So he went through it.

I found him, in the wrong paddock, with scrapes all over his legs and this on his left hind...

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s.../rexinjury.jpg

Right down to the bone, split the extensor tendon.

Vet obviously attended and spent 2 hours cleaning, stitching, removing the flap of skin and bandaging. Now begins the twice daily antibiotics and bute and the daily bandage changes.

No clean photos yet as it was well and truly dark by the time the vet left.

For such incredibly smart animals, they sure do stupid, stupid things sometimes.

Inga 11-20-2012 10:17 PM

Ouch! Sending healing thoughts your way. Tough to see our loved ones looking in such rough shape. Too many threads on here with war wounds like this. Must be something in the air sending horses into the " wound mode" Hope your guy heals quickly and fully. Maybe leave him in with the mare of his dreams. Can't fight love, right?

farmpony84 11-20-2012 10:20 PM

Ouch. They can be so stupid sometimes!!! :(

Sharpie 11-20-2012 10:28 PM

Ouch! Sending healing thoughts your way.

Spotted 11-20-2012 10:29 PM

Owee...no wonder I'm so paranoid, seeing photos like this.
Hoping for a quick recovery! best wishes.

CattieD 11-20-2012 11:11 PM

my friend had a horse who did some thing very similar to this, but didn't cut the tendon. He skinned it right down so that you could see all his tendons and muscles moving. He also cut the skin on his face from between his eye's right down to his muzzle all the way to the bone and it grow back and was fine. Plain wire is actually more dangerous than barb did you know that??? I didn't until this horse of my friends hurt himself so bad

natisha 11-21-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CattieD (Post 1766443)
my friend had a horse who did some thing very similar to this, but didn't cut the tendon. He skinned it right down so that you could see all his tendons and muscles moving. He also cut the skin on his face from between his eye's right down to his muzzle all the way to the bone and it grow back and was fine. Plain wire is actually more dangerous than barb did you know that??? I didn't until this horse of my friends hurt himself so bad

How could that be true? Yes, plain wire can slice but barbed wire not only slices but grabs & rips flesh too. It's much easier to fix cuts than minced meat.
Barbed wire has no place in modern horse keeping with safer alternatives available.

TaraBearaIsBack 11-21-2012 02:35 AM

Aw I'm so sorry about your boy :( I'll be prayin for a quick healing for him!

I agree - way too many posts about horses hurting themselves on here recently. It's so sad to see them like this!

Skunkworks 11-21-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1766589)
How could that be true? Yes, plain wire can slice but barbed wire not only slices but grabs & rips flesh too. It's much easier to fix cuts than minced meat.
Barbed wire has no place in modern horse keeping with safer alternatives available.

Are we talking high tension wire vs barb wire vs just plain jane wire fencing?

HowClever 11-21-2012 06:17 AM

While I do agree that plain wire has its risks, I don't agree that it is more dangerous than barb.

Just did the first of his bandage changes. Here's what it looks like after being stitched up and having most of the skin flap removed last night.

Just done the first of his bandage changes. This is what it looks like all stitched up and with the skin flap removed.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...injuryday2.jpg