The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Half Chaps for Big Calves (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/half-chaps-big-calves-144206/)

aquarianibis 11-20-2012 11:03 PM

Half Chaps for Big Calves

I have large calves. There, I said it. It drives me crazy because boot and women's shoes with uppers and stuff are all made for people with... smaller calves. My calves measure 18" around the thickest part, and they're about a standard height, so that's not so much of a problem. But I'm looking for a new pair of half chaps, and everything I've found goes up to 17" calf width! It's incredibly vexing! I know, I know, Fuller Fillies, but here's the reason I'm looking for new half chaps: my pair that I bought in April from Fuller Fillies are shredding. Think I'm annoyed? :twisted: Anyway, I'd also like to find someone in my freaking country (USA) that will acknowledge that there are people with wider calves than 17" in the world, and maybe make/sell some larger half chaps, please? My question is this: can any other riders that have faced this situation please advise? Thanks so much!

tinyliny 11-20-2012 11:18 PM

I don't know what my calves measure, but they are big, too

I have a pair of Ariats that work quite well. Also Grand Prix makes really good quality ones. How much are you willing to pay?

EliRose 11-20-2012 11:29 PM

I don't know my measurements, but I have some big calves and my Ariats are AWESOME! They're going on three years now :D

aquarianibis 11-20-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EliRose (Post 1766460)
I don't know my measurements, but I have some big calves and my Ariats are AWESOME! They're going on three years now :D

What kind of Ariats?

aquarianibis 11-21-2012 12:05 AM

Also, does anyone know how Saxon Equileather chaps fit?

@tinyliny - I'm hoping for something under $100... cheaper is better, but I want them to last. During the summer I may ride every day.

Brighteyes 11-21-2012 12:49 AM

I have a pair of Fuller Fillies half chaps. <3 I have a very awkward leg. Short from ankle to knee, but HUGE circumference. These work very well for me. I ride daily and have put hundreds of miles on those chaps. They've done a pretty good job. There is some surface wear and "rough" patches, but I won't complain.

aeosborne2002 11-21-2012 11:21 AM

I have a pair of Tredstep half chaps that have worked really well for me. They were the only ones I could find that that fit my short, but wide, calves, and still be in my price range.

Dustbunny 11-21-2012 11:58 AM

You might contact someone in your area who makes chaps and see what the cost might be to make a pair for you. Your local tack shop migh have a name.
Just a thought...

xJumperx 11-21-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquarianibis (Post 1766504)
Also, does anyone know how Saxon Equileather chaps fit?

I have heard that Saxons fit larger calf sizes really well. BUT, I thought I'd mention, that the quality is complete crap. I hated my Saxons. Rubbed me all the time, extremely uncomfortable, never really fit me right, AND the zipper busted within a month of using them once or twice a WEEK. They were awful. But, I also know some people love them. But I just figured I throw my 2 cents in.

Smokum 11-21-2012 02:12 PM

If all that doesn't help....

Visit your local taylor shop, shoe repair shop or leather (biker) shop
They can fix and alter anything!
From your half chaps to your tall boots.

If you visit them first with products and questions with your ideas
They maybe able to add an extension to your zipper sides
Or point you in the right direction.

My very good friend has large sexy calves and she too did this for many years. :)