The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Swelling.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/swelling-144210/)

Thunderspark 11-20-2012 11:32 PM

Swelling....

Hi Everyone,
I am going to call the vet tomorrow morning but was wondering if anyone has ever had this with a gelding.
This evening I noticed my gelding Chips was swollen around where his penis is and right near the bottom it's swollen like two small eggs, I just went down and checked him and it's also swollen all along to the back....not sure how to discribe this LOL but here's a pic I took tonight.....
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/...Pb200002-s.jpg

I cleaned his sheath this summer but I'm wondering if it has a bean blocking?

Cloudlover 11-20-2012 11:52 PM

This could be a sign of Equine Metabolic Syndrome. My horse has it and the first sign for him was his sheath was swollen so badly that it basically looked like he had a second sac of balls. I cleaned his sheath and checked for a bean and even had a vet check but she found nothing wrong with his penis or anything like that. I did some research and found sheath swelling to be one of the major signs along with several others such as a crest on the neck, fat around tail head, and excessive weight. I would check these on your horse and talk to your vet about it.

Thunderspark 11-21-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloudlover (Post 1766496)
This could be a sign of Equine Metabolic Syndrome. My horse has it and the first sign for him was his sheath was swollen so badly that it basically looked like he had a second sac of balls. I cleaned his sheath and checked for a bean and even had a vet check but she found nothing wrong with his penis or anything like that. I did some research and found sheath swelling to be one of the major signs along with several others such as a crest on the neck, fat around tail head, and excessive weight. I would check these on your horse and talk to your vet about it.

This is the first time this has ever occured, he's a 9yr. appy gelding. He's not over weight at all and no signs of fat in the areas you mentioned......so what do you have to do for your horse with this......now I'm worried......

Cloudlover 11-21-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderspark (Post 1766505)
This is the first time this has ever occured, he's a 9yr. appy gelding. He's not over weight at all and no signs of fat in the areas you mentioned......so what do you have to do for your horse with this......now I'm worried......

its nothing to worry about! EMS doesn't appear till the horse is around 7 or 8 years old. Since he is not over weight and doesn't have fat in the areas mentioned then i highly doubt this is what he has. For this condition all that has to be done is make sure he is at a healthy weight and maintain a healthy diet. EMS is where horses can't turn sugar into glucose and instead is turned into fat. All i do for my horse is monitor how much grass he gets and work him whenever I can. I am away at college now and have been unable to work him but he is still in great condition and shows no sign of excessive weight. This is really nothing to worry about.

Thunderspark 11-21-2012 12:37 AM

thanks Cloudlover for putting my mind at ease :)
I will be calling the vet in the morning though if it still is swollen and have him checked out....

Cloudlover 11-21-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderspark (Post 1766529)
thanks Cloudlover for putting my mind at ease :)
I will be calling the vet in the morning though if it still is swollen and have him checked out....

No problem :)

lancek 01-25-2013 12:57 PM

Thunderspark did your vet ever diagnose this problem? Our 8 yo gelding has the same exact symptom. We had a vet do a cleaning, the swelling went down for a few weeks and now has come back. He seems to be in no discomfort at all and is disposition is normal.
Thanks

Thunderspark 01-26-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancek (Post 1861585)
Thunderspark did your vet ever diagnose this problem? Our 8 yo gelding has the same exact symptom. We had a vet do a cleaning, the swelling went down for a few weeks and now has come back. He seems to be in no discomfort at all and is disposition is normal.
Thanks

Yes I did take him in, our boarder took his gelding in also (because he was swollen) to the vets. My gelding is 10 this year and the boarders is 5 this year. I've cleaned my geldings sheath before but the vet cleaned both their sheaths. Mine did have a couple of small beans. The vet said that when it gets cold that the tissue around there sometimes swells, he said normally it's nothing unless it gets huge and is uncomfortable for the horse. Basically we just got his sheath a good cleaning and I will continue to clean it come spring....