The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   Helmet oh helmet how you make me sigh (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/helmet-oh-helmet-how-you-make-144245/)

NBEventer 11-21-2012 02:29 PM

Helmet oh helmet how you make me sigh

After a nasty spill resulting in me cracking my awesome GPA helmet I am now helmet shopping *sigh* I loved that GPA. It was so comfy and took me through some great times, alas it is expired and it was time, I guess the fall just cinched it for me.

We have to tighten our purse strings right now as we are saving to buy a house and some other things I can't splurge on my awesome GPA. But he has offered to buy me a helmet for Christmas :-)

I am torn between IRH Elite Xtreme IRH Elite Xtreme Riding Helmet

and One K Defender

One K Defender Suede Helmet

I haven't heard much a bout the Defender but it looks like a decent helmet. I want something light and obviously comfortable that wont have me baking what is left of my brain on the boiling hot days. A small part of me wants the blue Defender lol. I would be getting the black though :-)

Fulford15 11-21-2012 02:37 PM

Hope your okay!!

I really like IRH the style and fit is really nice. I have had mine for years and I plan on upgraded to that IRH. :-)

I haven't heard any feedback on the Defender as well though.

NBEventer 11-21-2012 02:42 PM

Haha i'm in one piece, the fall was in August, the worse was the damage to my SI so I haven't been riding since then. I am aiming to be riding in January as I just had a breast reduction so can't ride until I recover from that.

I had an IRH years ago and didn't mind it. I just fell in love with my GPA but I don't have $650 to splurge on a new helmet.

I am really curious about the Defender, i'm hoping someone here knows more about them. Our Greenhawk is doing a black friday sale, might have to go tackle the crowds and see what they have there.

farmpony84 11-21-2012 02:55 PM

I think with this brand if you have a fall you can send it back and have it replaced for a nominal fee...

Charles Owen GR8 Helmet - ASTM/SEI Certified Helmets from SmartPak Equine

Here is the policy...

http://www.olsonstack.com/resources/...cement-policy/

I think it's probably worth it for the folks who do the more agressive sports such as eventing...

NBEventer 11-21-2012 03:13 PM

CO doesn't fit me right at all. I have tried them all.

I think I am going to sit on ebay and wait for a GPA Speed to come along. There has to be one out there that wont make me have to sell a kidney lol.

farmpony84 11-21-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NBEventer (Post 1767127)
CO doesn't fit me right at all. I have tried them all.

I think I am going to sit on ebay and wait for a GPA Speed to come along. There has to be one out there that wont make me have to sell a kidney lol.

:cry:

Sorry.... I don't know what brand mine is. It wasn't that expensive 'cus I'm a poor girl!

NBEventer 11-21-2012 03:36 PM

I hear ya on the being poor thing :-(

I feel a helmet is the one thing you never want to go cheap on, but at the same time $600 is a lot of money for something you need to replace every time you fall or it expires *sigh* and going cross country a helmet and your vest are two pieces of equipment you should not skimp on.

Decisions decisions... I think I am going to go looking for reviews on the Defender... while watching ebay for a GPA to pop up.

beau159 11-21-2012 03:44 PM

I don't quite remember how much mine was. I *think* it was under $100 but I guess I'm really not sure.

I have a Tippery Sportage and it is fairly comfortable. I just have trouble with ALL helments hurting the front of my forehead after it has been on for 3+ hours. But it's not bad. I do definately like it because of the close contact design. I have a small head the way it is, and this one fits me well.

And I guess according to this website I found it on, it's only like $60.

Tipperary Sportage Riding Helmet

Not that I'm "skimping" on a helmet, but is there any research or evidence out there that a $600 helmet protects your head better than a $60 one?

NBEventer 11-21-2012 03:58 PM

Ugh I just realized how that post came across. I am not snubbing cheaper helmets. And that last post really did come across in a snarly snobby manner. I apologize :oops:

I do like the sportage helmets. I have borrowed my friends for schooling and they are comfortable. However they are not a helmet for showing :-(

I have been reading up on the One K Defender series and they sound really really nice. I have been browsing ebay and they seem to be very affordable. Plus One K offers a replacement policy. Replacement Policy One K Helmets and from the reviews I have read they fit like a GPA does, they are very light and very comfortable. I am thinking I might go for the defender, though not sure yet. I am still shopping around so I am warmly openly welcoming all suggestions.

Again I am so sorry for the way my last post came across like. I wanted to slap me when I read it again :shock:

equiniphile 11-21-2012 04:10 PM

I would go with an IRH. I love mine and have shown in hunters, jumpers, and eventing with mine. I honestly forget I have it on when I ride.
Posted via Mobile Device