The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Quick Question -Leg angles (human) (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/quick-question-leg-angles-human-144251/)

petitepyromaniac 11-21-2012 02:54 PM

Quick Question -Leg angles (human)

Are you supposed to have the 90 degree angle behind your knee when you're going over the jump, or is that the angle you're supposed to maintain on the flat in between jumps?

I'm trying to figure out how long my stirrups should be. It's kind of a stupid question, but no one has explained it to me, and I'm just going off of what I've read in the past...

Thanks!

upnover 11-21-2012 03:24 PM

Your knee angle over a fence might depend on the height of the jump. Do you have access to Hunter Seat Equitation by george morris? He goes into a lot of detail about knee angles. Or do you have access to Jumping Clinic articles in practical horseman? George also has a lot of comments in there. As a rule you should jump with your stirrups at least a hole shorter then you flat. A few holes if the jumps are bigger.
Posted via Mobile Device

petitepyromaniac 11-21-2012 03:41 PM

I read that book a long time ago, so that's where the questions are stemming from. I just can't remember what it said... maybe I can find it again...

Let's say the jumps are 3ft, give or take 6 inches.

upnover 11-21-2012 03:45 PM

On the flat your stirrups should hit your ankle when your legs are hanging. When I jump three foot I shorten my stirrups two holes, which are about an in apart.
Posted via Mobile Device

petitepyromaniac 11-21-2012 03:50 PM

Excellent, I'll start doing that. Thank you for your help!!!!

KaiKamm93 11-25-2012 03:53 PM

I think it's interesting that nobody bothered to ask what type of jumping you do. Many don't realize that there are many "subgenres" of jumping (fox hunting, hunt seat, equitation, show jumping, cross country, even steeplechasing!) If you ride hunters or equitation, the stirrup length is pretty universal if you want to be in the ribbons. Recognize that in h/j/equ there's not a lot of variety to what is acceptable.

However, if you go into the jumping fields that are not judged by presentation, but by performance (show jumpers/eventers/fox hunters/chasers), you will probably notice that their stirrup lengths definitely DO vary. For example, fox hunters tend to have a longer stirrup because it's more comfortable to ride in through varying terrains over long periods of time... while SOME eventers prefer the same longer length for the same reasons, other eventers prefer an incredibly (almost ridiculous!) short stirrup because it helps us get our a$$es off the horse's back, should they take an awkward distance and catch us off guard.

All in all, I guess I'm just trying to say it depends on the type of jumping you do, and in some cases it depends on your own abilities & level of balance.

petitepyromaniac 11-25-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaiKamm93 (Post 1771769)
I think it's interesting that nobody bothered to ask what type of jumping you do. Many don't realize that there are many "subgenres" of jumping (fox hunting, hunt seat, equitation, show jumping, cross country, even steeplechasing!) If you ride hunters or equitation, the stirrup length is pretty universal if you want to be in the ribbons. Recognize that in h/j/equ there's not a lot of variety to what is acceptable.

However, if you go into the jumping fields that are not judged by presentation, but by performance (show jumpers/eventers/fox hunters/chasers), you will probably notice that their stirrup lengths definitely DO vary. For example, fox hunters tend to have a longer stirrup because it's more comfortable to ride in through varying terrains over long periods of time... while SOME eventers prefer the same longer length for the same reasons, other eventers prefer an incredibly (almost ridiculous!) short stirrup because it helps us get our a$$es off the horse's back, should they take an awkward distance and catch us off guard.

All in all, I guess I'm just trying to say it depends on the type of jumping you do, and in some cases it depends on your own abilities & level of balance.

What an excellent point! I'm not 'specialized' at the moment (just switched from doing dressage). However, I want to do whatever is the most secure. I don't care if it looks pretty, as long as it helps me the most over sticky situations caused by horse and/or jump. That being said, would you recommend going slightly shorter than the standard hunter/equitation length?

brookebum 11-28-2012 02:38 AM

In general, up two holes.

I was once told by a coach that when yoour leg hangs your stirrup should be at like the bottom of the ankle bone, and at the top/ just above the bone to jump- this wwas for small xc schooling, so not competitive or big jumps.

KaiKamm93 11-29-2012 11:58 AM

I'd go with shorter stirrups when you're starting out. As you get used to your horse's jump and feel comfortable with the distances you're getting, you can go a little longer if you wish. But you should *always* be shorter than a dressage or western length.

shaggy 11-30-2012 02:03 AM

Agreed with shorter stirrups. I was having leg problems too and after i watched a video i had taken of myself jumping my stirrups looked way to long. made them short by like two holes i think and it made a huge difference!