The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Geldings sheath is extremely swollen. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/geldings-sheath-extremely-swollen-144272/)

Peppy Barrel Racing 11-21-2012 06:43 PM

Geldings sheath is extremely swollen.

My friends mustang gelding's sheath is extremely swollen. He has not been recently gelded. He has been to the vet and been on antibiotics for a week and goes back to the vet on Friday. Has anyone had any experience with thier gelding's sheath doing this? Possible causes on why this may be happening would be very helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Peppy Barrel Racing 11-21-2012 06:47 PM

Any good tricks to relieve his swelling would be very helpful as well. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

riccil0ve 11-21-2012 06:49 PM

The obvious, when was his sheath last cleaned and the bean removed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Peppy Barrel Racing 11-21-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riccil0ve (Post 1767373)
The obvious, when was his sheath last cleaned and the bean removed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Very recently. They also cleaned it really well when they first noticed symptoms. But it has progressively gotten worse even with the antibiotics. I haven't seen it in person so I'm just going off what I'm told.
Posted via Mobile Device

Annanoel 11-21-2012 07:07 PM

Here's a good article on the sheath and cleaning. Even if he had his sheath cleaned he possibly could still have a bean lodged in there! I would check for it if possible, happened to the BO's gelding and as soon as we dislodged it he went back to normal in about an hour.

Horse Sheath Cleaning

Peppy Barrel Racing 11-21-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annanoel (Post 1767391)
Here's a good article on the sheath and cleaning. Even if he had his sheath cleaned he possibly could still have a bean lodged in there! I would check for it if possible, happened to the BO's gelding and as soon as we dislodged it he went back to normal in about an hour.

Horse Sheath Cleaning

I jus think the vet would of found something if it was lodged. Though it may be so swollen now they are missing it.
PS I like your name. My name is also Noelle but its obviously spelt a lil different from your Noel. Don't come across to may people with that name. Ill tell her to try checking the sheath again.
Posted via Mobile Device

Peppy Barrel Racing 11-21-2012 08:11 PM

Also Ty for the article I text it to my friend. I wish the horse wasn't two hours away in Arkansas so I could look myself.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigGreyHorse 11-21-2012 08:36 PM

Is he stalled? Lack of exercise can cause this in some geldings.

Tiamo 11-21-2012 08:47 PM

My gelding swelled up once after I cleaned him. The vet said I cleaned it to well and took out all the good bactria

Peppy Barrel Racing 11-21-2012 08:49 PM

He isn't stalled he is pastured and cleaning it too well may have occurred.