The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Differences between hunters and jumpers? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/differences-between-hunters-jumpers-144289/)

finn113 11-21-2012 09:47 PM

Differences between hunters and jumpers?

I understand the basic concept of each, but how do you determine whether your style of riding is more of a hunter or jumper? And how do you know if your horse is more hunter or jumper?
Put as much detail as possible thanx!!

Iseul 11-21-2012 09:54 PM

Ooh, I had a lecture on this last month :p

Hunters:
Conservative
Lower, natural looking jumps
Based on Judges opinion (and a scale)
Red coats are only for Master of Hounds (manager of show I think? Lol)
Plain horses
Slower horses with good form (both horse and rider)
Originated from English Foxhunting

Jumpers:
Not quite as conservative
Flashy horses
Timed only, judge doesn't matter
Red Coats only for international teams
Higher, unnatural jumps (such as bright and flowery/3D)
Fast, big strided horses
Originated from Steeplechase

And..of I can find my binder I can write the whole list down, these are the main points I remember.
Posted via Mobile Device

finn113 11-21-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iseul (Post 1767604)
Ooh, I had a lecture on this last month :p

Hunters:
Conservative
Lower, natural looking jumps
Based on Judges opinion (and a scale)
Red coats are only for Master of Hounds (manager of show I think? Lol)
Plain horses
Slower horses with good form (both horse and rider)
Originated from English Foxhunting

Jumpers:
Not quite as conservative
Flashy horses
Timed only, judge doesn't matter
Red Coats only for international teams
Higher, unnatural jumps (such as bright and flowery/3D)
Fast, big strided horses
Originated from Steeplechase

And..of I can find my binder I can write the whole list down, these are the main points I remember.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is there a discipline that combines hunters and jumpers? Because I like the hunter way of riding and the more slow strided horses but the bigger jumps of jumpers.
And how do you know which discipline best suits your horse?

Iseul 11-21-2012 10:24 PM

I believe the higher level hunters have bigger jumps, but nothing like the 6ft puissance or the such.
I show western, so I'm not positive..but I'd imagine if the horse can gallop to a high jump and clear it without hesitation (flashy, remember) that they could probably do jumpers. If the horse just can't jump with good form over high jumps or likes to refuse that they'd be better suited to hunters.
But, colour has a lot to do with placing..the best pinto hunter in a class will probably place under (or not at all) half decent, plain horses with little White (say a sorrel or bay with only a little White). As opposed to Jumpers where it doesn't matter how you (or your horse) looks. You could probably hang off the side of your horse the whole jumper round and will still win if you have the lowest time without penalties.
Posted via Mobile Device

finn113 11-21-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iseul (Post 1767646)
I believe the higher level hunters have bigger jumps, but nothing like the 6ft puissance or the such.
I show western, so I'm not positive..but I'd imagine if the horse can gallop to a high jump and clear it without hesitation (flashy, remember) that they could probably do jumpers. If the horse just can't jump with good form over high jumps or likes to refuse that they'd be better suited to hunters.
But, colour has a lot to do with placing..the best pinto hunter in a class will probably place under (or not at all) half decent, plain horses with little White (say a sorrel or bay with only a little White). As opposed to Jumpers where it doesn't matter how you (or your horse) looks. You could probably hang off the side of your horse the whole jumper round and will still win if you have the lowest time without penalties.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh ok thanx!

MySerenity 11-21-2012 10:27 PM

Just because you are doing hunters doesn't mean the the jumps are going to be small. You can jump at least 4 foot still doing hunters or equitation.

I think you would prefer jumpers if you like doing a fast course, like tighter turns and enjoy much more complicated courses.

You would like hunters more if you like a slow, controlled course that looks effortless. IMHO a good hunter course looks kind of boring because the horse and rider make it look so easy.

My favorite part about jumpers is that it's you against the time/faults. There is a judge but in general they don't effect the score too much. You can have a horse that doesn't move well, cheap tack and inexpensive clothing and you can still win the class. I really hate the politics of hunters. That said, if I could have 2 horses to show, I would ride one of each =) they both have their good points.

You sound like you'd prefer hunters, just the bigger classes.

finn113 11-21-2012 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySerenity (Post 1767650)
Just because you are doing hunters doesn't mean the the jumps are going to be small. You can jump at least 4 foot still doing hunters or equitation.

I think you would prefer jumpers if you like doing a fast course, like tighter turns and enjoy much more complicated courses.

You would like hunters more if you like a slow, controlled course that looks effortless. IMHO a good hunter course looks kind of boring because the horse and rider make it look so easy.

My favorite part about jumpers is that it's you against the time/faults. There is a judge but in general they don't effect the score too much. You can have a horse that doesn't move well, cheap tack and inexpensive clothing and you can still win the class. I really hate the politics of hunters. That said, if I could have 2 horses to show, I would ride one of each =) they both have their good points.

You sound like you'd prefer hunters, just the bigger classes.

I do but I'm just not sure whether my horse would be better suited as a hunter or jumper, we will just have to see. The reason I like hunters more is because I have more of an arched back. Thanx for posting!

Iseul 11-21-2012 10:45 PM

I thought an arched back was frowned upon in a jump frame? I was under the impression that the back was suppose to be straight, not arched nor roached..
Posted via Mobile Device

finn113 11-21-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iseul (Post 1767686)
I thought an arched back was frowned upon in a jump frame? I was under the impression that the back was suppose to be straight, not arched nor roached..
Posted via Mobile Device

That's actually what I used to think, but I heard in hunter your back is supposed to be more arched

lacey123 11-21-2012 10:54 PM

Yes having an arched back really shouldn't be the reason you choose a discipline. It is good that you are worried about what your horse likes best. Riding with an arched back isn't really good in any discipline